Professionalism in Education
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima By Vincent & Viola Lanza

+6
lbaca204
Marleena Herrera
Ewart Caballero
Caroline Awardo
Cristavel Membreno
vlanz558
10 posters

Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima By Vincent & Viola Lanza

Post  vlanz558 Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:25 am

Case Study 10
Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students
By: Vincent & Viola Lanza
Dilemma

Allan and Jim were very close pals and did practically everything together on and off work at a prominent co-ed high school in the city where they both taught Mathematics and Integrated Science. They were best of friends since primary school, and had a very long friendship and naturally, when there was a vacancy at the high school Allan vouched for Jim and that’s how they began working together.
The friends were constantly planning how they would make their lessons more interesting and shared a wealth of ideas and it was evident that their methods were very effective. Administration and staff were very glad to have the duo on board since they improved the institution’s fame.
As time went by, work kept Allan and Jim very busy and they had little time to converse and the week would sometimes pass by. One Friday evening at about 5:30 p.m. Jim saw that the lights in the laboratory where Allan had his office were still on. He guessed that Allan must have forgotten to switch them off so he went to do so and was stunned to stumble on Allan having sex with Shanice, a fourth form science student, on his desk. They immediately scrambled for their clothes while Jim stepped back out of the room waited outside.
Allan and Jim had a heated quarrel with Jim scolding Allan so fiercely that Allan was immediately scared that Jim would tell on him. He pled to Jim not to tell anyone and said that he was embarrassed about the situation and that as his best friend Jim should trust that it would not happen again. It was just a mistake. Convinced, Jim agreed not to disclose the happenings of that evening. He was angry at Allan but he felt that he could give him at least the benefit of the doubt.
Two months passed by with Allan and Jim hardly speaking to each other mainly due to the many deadlines and tasks they had to complete and partly because of the awkwardness of the conversations they had had since Allan was caught. On the night of the schools annual fair, there was much to do and the teachers were tasked with duties from food vendor to supervisory personnel which Jim was assigned to be that Friday night. While making his rounds about the campus, he observed that people were stealing prizes from one of the game booths that were left unsupervised. Upon closer inspection, it was learnt that Allan was supposed to be in charge of the booth, but he was no where to be found.
Jim, instructed by the principal, fetched Allan at the lab, and that was when he again caught Allan fondling and kissing a younger girl. Jim fiercely shoved Allan to the ground and took the girl to the principal and reported the matter. Allan was fired forthwith and arrested after the incident was corroborated by the girl in the presence of her parents, the schools administration, Jim, and the two police officers that were dispatched to the fair for security that night. In court, Allan pled guilty to the charges against him and was sentenced to 4 years of imprisonment.
After the whole ordeal with the courts was over, Jim never felt as if though he did the right thing. He always felt that he had betrayed his life long friend.

1. Would you consider Jim to be right in keeping silent about the first incident because it was his best friend? Why? Why not?

2. If you were in Allan’s shoe, honestly, what would you do?

3. Jim may have weighed in his mind and justified his secrete as getting even with Allan since it was Allan who helped him getting employed at the high school. Do you think it was fair trade?

4. If Jim had remained quiet despite Allan’s second breach of the professional code of ethics and the law, could there be serious repercussions? For whom? Explain.

5. Do you consider Jim a hero saving the second little girl from the ravages of Allan, or is he at fault also?

6. Should Jim lug around the feeling of guilt? What advice would you give him?

[u][b]

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Case Study 10

Post  Cristavel Membreno Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Name: Cristavel Membreno
Class: Professionalism in Education

1. Would you consider Jim to be right in keeping silent about the first incident because it was his best friend? Why? Why not? As in every situation you can not judge a person right off the bat. And what made Jim predicament even more difficult is the fact that Allan was his best friend for some years. So for him keeping silent about the first situation I can understand that.

2. If you were in Allan’s shoe, honestly, what would you do? If I was Allan the first time I got caught I would have felt award around Jim indeed. But I would try to be better and not be alone with young girls, students if it was a case where I might not be able to control what I did. I would not be alone with a student. So after being caught that would have been the first thing I would have changed about the matter.

3. Jim may have weighed in his mind and justified his secret as getting even with Allan since it was Allan who helped him getting employed at the high school. Do you think it was fair trade? No, I don’t think it was anything about Allan helping him get the job or fair trade. It was honestly him making his decision based on there years of friendship. The first time he didn’t tell because their friendship made a great impact on him. The second time I think I was a matter of he had, that Allan was his best friend but it was a must have.

4. If Jim had remained quiet despite Allan’s second breach of the professional code of ethics and the law, could there be serious repercussions? For whom? Explain. If Jim did not say anything the second time I think there could have been some serious repercussion and accusation on the part of Jim. Because eventually I think the matter would have been brought to light and accusation would have been made against Jim also that he had a part in what was happening. But also Jim sound like a person that if his consciences is bothering him he will settle it once and for all.

5. Do you consider Jim a hero saving the second little girl from the ravages of Allan, or is he at fault also? I can’t say that Jim is at fault because we are all free and that why we re free to choose the decision we make. Allan had a choice too unfortunately he made the wrong choice. Both Jim and Allan had a second chance and Allan choose not to make right of his wrongs and Jim made right with himself and the law.

6. Should Jim lug around the feeling of guilt? What advice would you give him? If I was Jim I would have looked at the bigger picture, that he was helping his friend. Because it seems to me that Allan had an addictive problem and Jim was the one to break him of it. There shouldn’t be any feeling of guilt on his part he helped his best friend as what all real friend should do when they see their friend in need.
Cristavel Membreno
Cristavel Membreno

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty professional relationship of teacher and student

Post  Caroline Awardo Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:20 am

1. Principles are cut and dried. There is no way around them. Jim should have reported Allan but as humans we sympathize and give second chances. Allan had created a habit of doing wrong and reaped the consequences.
2. Because he was my friend i would probably had given a him a chance the first time also but not a second.
3. It was not a fair trade. Allan was doing wrong and should have been grateful and cleaned up his act.
4. I believe there would be repercussions if the girls reported what had happened and called Jim's name. He too could have been charged for allowing this to continue.
5. Jim is a hero for putting a stop to Allan's actions.
6. Jim has nothing to be guilty about. If he did nothing he would have a heavier burden to carry. He would be as bad as Allan.

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Response to Case study 10

Post  Ewart Caballero Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:45 am

Ewart Caballero
Response to case Study 10

It was so unfortunate that the situation happened and yes I believe that everyone deserves a second chance. In an institution there must be some form of confidentiality to keep an institution professional. I believe that Jim is to be blamed to a certain extent as to why Allan committed the act a second time, their relationship was no longer the same, it was all work, social relationship is important and one should always put aside time for that. I still would consider Jim to be a hero for saving the littler girl from Alan, but the manner in which he did it was not professional; there were other ways he could have done it. If was in Jim’s position I believe that yes I would have felt quilty for not only letting my friend lose his job but also because he was imprison, stained as a child molester, and might never be able to get a job in the country a again because of his records. Even though he reported the manner he could have prevented some the embossment his long last colleague felt. After the first incident I believe that Jim should have drawn closer to Allan, this would allowed him to find out the reason why Allan committed the incident in the fist place and he would have been able to provide him with guidance to prevent any future occurrence.

Ewart Caballero

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Reponse to case study 10

Post  Marleena Herrera Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:44 am

Marleena Herrera

1. Would you consider Jim to be right in keeping silent about the first incident because it was his best friend? Why? Why not?

I don’t think that Jim was right in keeping silent in the first incident because of the nature of the situation. It was a sexual offense that should not be tolerated by anyone regardless of friendship. Alan was a child molester and there is no excuse for that.

2. If you were in Allan’s shoe, honestly, what would you do?
If I was in Alan shoe I guess I would have tried to justify my action just like Alan did. I would also resign from the post and seek medical help.

3. Jim may have weighed in his mind and justified his secrete as getting even with Allan since it was Allan who helped him getting employed at the high school. Do you think it was fair trade?

I don’t think it was a fair trade because the act that Allan committed was too hideous in comparison to help someone getting a job.

4. If Jim had remained quiet despite Allan’s second breach of the professional code of ethics and the law, could there be serious repercussions? For whom? Explain.

Yes, for both of them. For it is often said if you know about the crime and don’t report it you are committing the crime likewise. So therefore both of them could have lost their jobs or end up in jail.

5. Do you consider Jim a hero saving the second little girl from the ravages of Allan, or is he at fault also?

I don’t consider Jim a hero. There would not have been a second time, if he had reported the problem in the first case; he can be partially blamed for the repeated offense.

6. Should Jim lug around the feeling of guilt? What advice would you give him?

Jim should not feel guilty. He did the right thing.
I would advise Jim to move on with his life and think about the many children that could have been damage if they had fallen victims to his friend Allan. I would tell him that he is in the correct profession and one of his major goals is to assist children. I would tell him to be proud of what he did as it send a message to other sexual offenders

Marleena Herrera

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty response to case study 10

Post  lbaca204 Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:48 pm

1. Would you consider Jim to be right in keeping silent about the first incident because it was his best friend? Why? Why not? First of all we are not perfect we do make mistakes but we learn from them. It is good to give a person a second change we all make mistakes. If i were to be in Jim's situation i would keep the first incident a secret because of the value of our friendship.

2. If you were in Allan’s shoe, honestly, what would you do? If i were to be in Allan's shoe i would analyze the situation and try to make changes for a better. If i am aware that attraction for young girls is my weak spot i would not be alone with them.

3. Jim may have weighed in his mind and justified his secrete as getting even with Allan since it was Allan who helped him getting employed at the high school. Do you think it was fair trade? No it is not a fair trade for Jim was just trying to help is friend. Even though if he would have tried to implement what he had in mind to justify his action his plan wouldn't have worked. It is a poor justification.

4. If Jim had remained quiet despite Allan’s second breach of the professional code of ethics and the law, could there be serious repercussions? For whom? Explain. If Jim remained quiet for the second time, it would be like if he is in agreement with what his friend Allan is doing. As we all know the truth always comes us to the surface sooner or later, and in this case Jim would be a serious repercussion as Allan.

5. Do you consider Jim a hero saving the second little girl from the ravages of Allan, or is he at fault also? Yes i consider Jim a hero for saving the second girl from the ravages of allan. If he accused Allan it is because he cared for the girls at school and his friend.

6. Should Jim lug around the feeling of guilt? What advice would you give him? Jim should not feel guilty for accusing Allan's behavior. He did the right thing. He gave Allan an Opportunity to change but he didn't .

lbaca204

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Response to case study 10

Post  Doroteo Correa Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:50 am

Well I think that no body is perfect and as such everyone deserve a second chance no matter what they belief we need to acknowledge that there are people that they doesnot forgive no matter what but we should get a second chance. As grown and knowing that for an instituition to be professional it need confidentiality and trust on one another. I think that a relatonship of friend is a unique but ther as well i think that we can be friends but also stand for the right on one another and for other who are innocent furtherer more i think that as teacher we need to educate our self to be responsible and respectful in every manner. i think for those who are dealing with kids need to be very entusatic but at the same time try to be respective and also your distance is inportant so that the students don't have the misconception of thinking that you love them or any sort like that and friends who help each other not to commit adultry or other sort like that.

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Re: Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima By Vincent & Viola Lanza

Post  Gaudencio Mucul Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:32 am

I think that as a professional Jim should have set aside his friendship with Allan and should have reported his friend. This is due to the fact that probably it was his habit of inducing young students to engage in sexual activities with him.If I was Allan I would immediately resign from the teaching profession since it would be an embarrassment for me and the school itself.Definitely, in a case like this it cannot be called a trade but rather an attempt to cover up for an evil act. As professionals we are to protect the students not to put their safety in jeorpardy.
If Jim would have covered for his friend the second time the consequences would have been for both of them since they would be commiting a crime. Allan for engaging in sexual activities with the students and Jim for covering Jim illicit activities. Both of them could have ended up in jail if Jim did not say nothing because in the longer run they would have gotten caught.I think that Allan can be praised for his action against his friend because in the end he did the correct thing. He is definitely an exemplary teacher that should be admired if not considered a hero.I think that Jim should not lug around the feeling of guilt because he simply did the right thing. It is hard because of the friendship that he had with Allan but the decision that he took far outweighs his relationship with Allan.
Gaudencio Mucul
Gaudencio Mucul

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Respond to the case study

Post  Doroteo Correa Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:42 pm

Jim should have reported Allan but as humans we sympathize and give second chances. Allan had created a habit of doing wrong and reaped the consequences.Because he was my friend i would probably had given a him a chance the first time also but not a second. although Allan was doing wrong and should have been grateful and cleaned up his act. I believe there would be girls reported what had happened and called Jim's name. He too could have been charged for allowing this to continue. i think that each individual knows what he she is doing and that second chance is sometimes not granted just because the effect on what you have done to
them

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty response to case study 10

Post  Lucia Itza Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:01 pm

Response to case study 10
I believe that as humans we make mistakes and we need to be given a second chance. But in the case of Allan I strongly believe that he was just naturally a child molester. In the other hand he was working in an institution which demands professionally behavior, apart respect for the students. He was given a second chance by his friend in not reporting him. In this case Allan just broke the second chance; therefore I do believe that yes he needed to be reported instantly in a professional manner to protect the institution’s reputation. I believe that Jim needed to have behaved professionally when pointing out to Allan’s misconduct.

Lucia Itza

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Response to case study 10

Post  lgonz971 Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:34 am

1. Would you consider Jim to be right in keeping silent about the first incident because it was his best friend? Why? Why not? First of all we are not perfect we do make mistakes but we learn from them. It is good to give a person a second change we all make mistakes. If i were to be in Jim's situation i would keep the first incident a secret because of the value of our friendship.

2. If you were in Allan’s shoe, honestly, what would you do? If i were to be in Allan's shoe i would analyze the situation and try to make changes for a better. If i am aware that attraction for young girls is my weak spot i would not be alone with them.

3. Jim may have weighed in his mind and justified his secrete as getting even with Allan since it was Allan who helped him getting employed at the high school. Do you think it was fair trade? No it is not a fair trade for Jim was just trying to help is friend. Even though if he would have tried to implement what he had in mind to justify his action his plan wouldn't have worked. It is a poor justification.

4. If Jim had remained quiet despite Allan’s second breach of the professional code of ethics and the law, could there be serious repercussions? For whom? Explain. If Jim remained quiet for the second time, it would be like if he is in agreement with what his friend Allan is doing. As we all know the truth always comes us to the surface sooner or later, and in this case Jim would be a serious repercussion as Allan.

5. Do you consider Jim a hero saving the second little girl from the ravages of Allan, or is he at fault also? Yes i consider Jim a hero for saving the second girl from the ravages of allan. If he accused Allan it is because he cared for the girls at school and his friend.

6. Should Jim lug around the feeling of guilt? What advice would you give him? Jim should not feel guilty for accusing Allan's behavior. He did the right thing. He gave Allan an Opportunity to change but he didn't .

lgonz971

Back to top Go down

Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima  By Vincent & Viola Lanza Empty Re: Case Study 10: Theme: Professional relationship with teachers and students. Titled: Delima By Vincent & Viola Lanza

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down