Professionalism in Education
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case Study 4

+18
kseba750
vlanz558
lbaca204
HubertPascual
maria borallos
icruz281
Pedro Popper
sandra smith
Caroline Awardo
Krista G
lgonz971
Cristavel Membreno
Marleena Herrera
felomenaserano
sabaldora
Martha Lino
Doroteo Correa
Gaudencio Mucul
22 posters

Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Case Study 4

Post  Gaudencio Mucul Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:30 pm

Elisa Chan relationship with parents
by Luis Ku and Gaudencio Mucul

After graduating with her master’s in education Elisa Chan was quickly hired as the principal of Yopan R.C. School. Her social skills and character facilitated her getting along with teachers, students and parents. She always strived for excellence along with her fellow staff. For this she ensured to work excellently along with her staff and most importantly with her parents. Her students were always at heart. She was submissive to her superiors and motivating with her subordinates. She always thought of revolutionizing the educational life of her school.
Teachers knew that she was inspired when they handed their weekly plan by eight on Mondays, all teachers kept in line with her. There was no school like Yo Pan R.C. School where the principal and her staff really worked hand in hand with understanding the need of a good education for the children.
As a floating principal Miss Elisa spent reasonable time educating, involving, and motivating her parents to get involved in the life of the school. Further more many parents sought her advice on school and family matter or issues. The long lines in her office did not mean that she would not attend to all parents. Instead she saw to it that each and everyone, even teachers were tended to.
Her so valuable skills and charisma seem to be the magnets attracting parents to the school meetings or affairs. Even the attendance of male parents to these meetings had a dramatic growth.
On a normal morning beak while Miss Elisa was supervising the students, an enraged parent flew through the gates of the compound and shouted as she saw Miss Elisa, “I don’t know how you could be the principal of this school. Your conscience should at least make you feel ashamed of your infidelity to your husband; you are the only responsible if my marriage crumbles.” Miss Elisa’s face instantly turn white but calmly addressed the parent, “Miss Nubia, Please calm down, the children are around teachers are supervising, so kindly follow me to my office.” By the time they reached her office, the students were already pushing each other trying to peep through the window of the office, it was a commotion.
A week later, for the annual school’s open day teachers and students were all eager to know what had transpired in Miss Elisa’s case with the parent. However nobody knew anything.

Discussion Questions:
1. Why didn’t anyone know anything?
2. As a female parent would you still seek Miss Elisa’s advice? Why or why not?
3. As the Vice principal of Yopan R.C. School how would you now see miss Elisa as your principal?
4. Do you think that this incident will change the perception of the children and the community towards Miss Elisa?
Gaudencio Mucul
Gaudencio Mucul

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Respond to case study 4

Post  Doroteo Correa Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:53 am

Although there are thing that persons make with enthusiasm as Ms. Elisa, there are occasions that some make mistake too. Nevertheless, people should defend themselves with all their might but in a proper way without shouting, screaming,and altering others. If one commits a mistake there is a way to solve things and their are occasions that are just misunderstandings. Although people are highly educated there is said to be a well respect people but that is not indicating that the professional does not make mistake. Well,well a person can be educated and can work hard in order for her to solve and construct a better education for our youth as Ms.Elisa does, but in the world there exists envy that people try everything to let people to be seen in the dark side. So we should be careful in our actions but if we act let us make it be in a great educational way.

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Reply to case study 4

Post  Martha Lino Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:56 am

Miss Elisa was seen to be a very helpful person and as a female parent yes I would still seek her advice. This enrage parent probably had something else against Miss Elisa and without any sense. On the contrary she was the only one complaining from among all the others who had seek her advice.
As the vice principal It would make no difference in the way I see Miss Elisa. Those who came to her for advice does not necessarily need to do what she said since as individual we are free to make our own decisions. As individual it is good to get a second opinion but that does not necessarily means we need to comply.
I believe that no one knew anything because it was a problem that concerns Miss Elisa and she must have dealt with it in the best interest of both the parent and herself as it was something that concern her and she probably didn't want to get anyone involve.
I don't believe that this would change the perception of the children and the community because nothing else was heard of the incident. The parents probably wanted attention.

Martha Lino

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty reply to case study 4

Post  sabaldora Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Ms Elisa was a professional administrator and dealt with the situation professinally, instead of following herself with hte parent she asked to go to the office were the problem was resolved. The wife must have been conviced becaused what was discusssed in the office stayed there it was never disclosed. this means that there was confidentiality between the parent and principal so parents should have no problem trusting or confiding in her. Ms Elisa was a hardworking and dedicated prrincipal and because she also had a good relationship with her parents maybe the wife have misconstrued the situation. I would love to work with a principal who had her children and school at heart. The situation would not have changed my relationship with the principal because she was doind a great job and she had the qualities of a professional teacher and principal.

sabaldora

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Respond to case study 4

Post  felomenaserano Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:35 pm

i think that the principal is a good principal. It amazes me that noone knew what transpired this tells how the principal had dealt with the situation on a professional level. we don't know if the principal did have an affair with the parent's husband. we don't have to be professionals to know that it is wrong to commit adultery. If the principal did have an affair with that parent's husband then it gives her a bad reputation in that aspect. I think that the principal should stick to passing on the good values and avoid getting into situations like these. this case study is well written and i like what they have brought out. I love you I love you I love you

felomenaserano

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Relationship with Parents

Post  Marleena Herrera Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:07 am

Marleena Herrera
Elisa Chan relationship with parents

This case truly helped us to reflect on how we should react as professional in similar situation. Despite the circumstances that led to the enraged parent I believe that Ms. Elisa displayed the qualities of a true professional. She was calm and she dealt with the matter effectively and efficiently. The skills that were demonstrated by her did not give any reason to misjudge her professional character as it relates to the school, the students, her teachers and other parents. The fact that no one knew what transpired in the office reinforced her professional qualities and made her stronger in executing her professional abilities.
Viewing her professional standard I would definitely seek advice because she portrayed effective professional qualities that could withstand all storms that try to interfere with her capabilities. Ms. Elisa know what she want and know how to get it done, I believe working with her will make a positive difference in any school that she become a part of and despite the many hindrance that come her way it will be hard for anyone to have a negative perception of her because of her conscious progress.

Marleena Herrera

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Response to Case study 4

Post  Cristavel Membreno Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:28 pm

Name: Cristavel Membreno
Date: 17/09/08

No one knew anything that had transpired because Ms. Elisa is a professional, she is good at what she does, her personal life would not be made any more public that it already was. As a female teacher I would still seek Ms. Elise advice because there are always those people that are looking for a way to tarnish a good reputation. And I think that is what happened to Ms. Elisa. The story describes Miss. Elisa as a genuine person humble always willing to lend that extra hand, so as the vice principal the way I looked at her would not have changed at all. Because she had done so much for the teachers and the school. i think it might change some minds in the way they look art her, but if it change their minds then I think that there expectation of people are low. Because then it would seem as though they were just waiting for the pin to drop, as they say.
Cristavel Membreno
Cristavel Membreno

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Response to Case study 4

Post  lgonz971 Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:58 pm

I do believe that Ms. Chan was a well educated person and was well qualified for the position as the principal of the school where she worked. I also think that she was very professional in the way that she ran the school and also the way she carried on herself. I always admire when a young person is chosen to lead out in a school. I think that this is good because this person is bringing fresh ideas and new ways of doing things that can benefit the school and most importantly the students. I admire the way that Ms. Chan handled the situation with the enraged wife and parent. She did not lower herself and began shouting things back at the parent. This speaks very well of her. The fact that many male parents began to attend the meetings and assist the school calls my attention. Maybe Ms. Chan was very attractive and I'm sure her attitude and way of being attracted many more especially of the opposite sex. Ms. Chan did not allow the information to be divulged. Not even the teachers knew what had happened. Many times when something happens the gossip that evolves from the incident is much worse than the incident itself. The parents and the community could continue to support the school and the principal as long as those who work closely with her continued to support her and not help to destroy the reputation of the principal. The vice principal could continue to seek advice and support the principal.

lgonz971

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Response to Case Study 4

Post  Krista G Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:03 am

First of all, I think that no one knew anything about the incident because there was probably nothing to be known. Ms. Elisa handled the situation calmly and like what she is-a professional. She knew that she would gain absolutely nothing by addressing the parent in the like manner. Ms. Elisa had no reason to blow things out of proportion hence if it was true or not, she would not make a bigger of a deal of the situation than was necessary. Since nothing was known about the incident even after her talking to the parent, I am inclined to believe that Ms. Elisa cleared the situation which was merely a misunderstanding or a case of mistaken identity.
I do not expect the vice-principal to view Ms.Elisa any differently because her personal life has nothing to do with the work she does at the school. Hence, the respect for Ms. Elisa should be maintained and students alike Ms. Elisa's colleagues should still hold her in esteem. If I were a parent, and it was my custom to seek Ms. Elisa's advice, I would not make a situation like that affect my trust in her, especially since I think that the accusations were false. If it turned out to be true, I would not judge her because everyone is entitled to make mistakes and she is indeed doind a wonderful job as a professional. Exclamation
Krista G
Krista G

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Response to case study 4 Elisa Chan relationship with Parents

Post  Caroline Awardo Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:01 am

I believe no one knew what was happening either because it was not true or it was a well kept secret.
As a female parent I would seek Miss Elisa's advice if I needed it. Even if she was cheating it did not affect her expertise as a good teacher or educated person. Prejudice is a bad thing especially when we do not know the facts. We should give the person the benefit of the doubt.
As the vice principal I would try to befriend Miss Elisa. This would not just be to get information but in the process maybe I could help her to regain her reputation. Too many times people have been dragged down by vicious gossip. One day it may be me.
To many people if they think in a shallow way it would change their perception of miss Elisa especially in a small village. But remember no one knows for sure. If there is no evidence that let the case rest.

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Respose to case study 4

Post  sandra smith Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:13 pm

Sandra Smith

Ms. Elisa is a very good administrator and a professional. Her qualities enables her to administer he job to the best of her knowledge. Dealing with the parent with the outrage was done professionally. Despite being guilty or not of the accusation Ms. Elisa handles the situation professionally. Our private life should not affect our professional life they should be separated.
Students and teachers should judge her only by things that they can attest her doing not the accusation. She is innocent until proven guilty. Her good administrative work and personality was what kept the teachers, parents and school going so that’s the way it should continue to go. There is always two sides to a story so until everyone knows that they should continue to treat her the same way they were before the parent went their with her accusation. There was not any information to let us know if she was guilty or not. So its was only on persons view and we don’t know how valid it was.
sandra smith
sandra smith

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Reply: Elisa Chan's relationship with parents

Post  Pedro Popper Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:30 pm

(Pedro Popper)

I firmly believe that Mrs Chan is a great teacher. She has pedagogical skills and that is something which not many principals have. Teachers, parents, and the community would come to her office and seek advice. There seems to be effective team work between teachers and principal. For instance, teachers would give their weekly plan on time and principal would tend to teachers concerns. Parents and the community would actively be involved in the school affairs in order to provide quality education to children. Based on observation, not many schools have intense support from parents as this one (school) does.

In the case between the teacher and a parent, there seems to be an obstacle as infidility seems to be the main cause . Whatever the truth may be, I believe that the issue should be disclosed to administration and staff. Remember, if you are innocent then you have nothing to hide. I think that teachers must know the story behind the incident because it happened in school and everybody was aware. As a principal, it is Mrs Chan's duty to share to her staff what the problem is and what measures or solution will be taken. I think that nobody knows the foundation of the problem because it happened outside of school. Perhaps it is true that Mrs Chan was involved in infidelity or it is that there is a parent who wants to bring down Mrs Chan's reputation.

Many times people want to bring other's down because of jealously. Perhaps there was a misunderstanding in this situation. Maybe the principal had a close friendship with a male parent and the wife confused that friendship as being two lovers. Miss Chan should resolve the problem as soon as possilble before it gets worse. As a parent, I would still seek advice from Miss Chan's because she is an educated person in education. She has a lot of experience and I'm sure she can give quality information. As a vice principal, I would ask Mrs Chan if she minds sharing what the problem was all about. If she doesn't trust me in sharing information, then I wouldn't have full trust on her either. This incident will change the perception of the children and the community towards Mrs Elisa because it happened in school and rumors and conclusions spread quickly. The community will start to question if Mrs Chan is really an honest and trustworthy individual. I recommend that Mrs Chan give an explanation to her school to clear the problem once and for all.

(Pedro Popper)

Pedro Popper

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Reply to Case Study 4 - Irene cruz

Post  icruz281 Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:30 pm

Finding out what kind of person she is in her profession, Miss Elisa is not perfect. There must be some where she is loosen up on. I think that with the lady just barging in on the school compound was not an appropriate one. But then again maybe she was not as educated as Ms. Elisa and she thought that was the right way.
I think in this case the topic gave out itself and its meaning. The questions could have been reword in a sense to get the real picture of the study. In the the grammar part it was done well but very good case study overall.
icruz281
icruz281

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Relationship with parent

Post  maria borallos Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:05 am

The personal life of a person by no means should interfere with his/her profession. We are human beings and as such we make mistakes. I don't see why my perception of her should change now that i know something about her personal life. It is true that in the eyes of God and society this is unacceptable but who am i to judge when i have also sinned. Her case is only one of millions in this world that are secretly kept unlike Miss Elisa once that was brought into the light. I would believe that no one knew anything about Miss Elisa because she was removed from the school. As a parent i would still seek her professional advice in regard to the development of my child. Unfortunately we live in a society that is very discriminatory and i am certain that she will pick and condemned by students, parents and community. Their perception will definitely change for the worst. She will be seen as the bad of the story and people will forget about all the good qualities that attracted them to her at first. It is amazing how people can change so easily and forget about all the good qualities of a person when this person does a mistake. People should remember that everyone makes mistakes and we learn from it, that is my belief.

scussion Questions:
3. As the Vice principal of Yopan R.C. School how would you now see miss Elisa as your principal?
4. Do you think that this incident will change the perception of the children and the community towards Miss Elisa?

maria borallos

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty To case study 4

Post  HubertPascual Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:18 pm

No one knew anything because Ms. Elisa was calm in her approach in dealing with the parent. She maintained her composure at all times and she handled the situation before it got out of control. The relationship between the parent and Ms. Elisa was fiduciary, it remained mutual. And as a professional I think this is the way we need to handle our affairs, even in the face of danger we must be proactive and not reactive.

There was no word of taint out on Ms. Elisa, no one knew what was going on, and there was not even speculation on behalf of the community which she served. Ms. Elisa is a professional after all if she was convicted of the accusations her advice may have still been valid because I would be seeking advice based on the development of my child and his/her education. No I was seeking advice on marriage I would not have consulted Ms. Elisa because it seems she has had her fair share in that area.

Yes because she is still the same competent person. Misunderstandings happen and it should not affect one’s performance on the job or off the job. I would hold no grudge against her because her ideals are still clear and she still wants the growth and development of her school to continue. So long as she is effective and productive on the job Ms. Elisa should not have a problem, no one knew what happened, she can not be accused of anything.

Speculations may arise but if there is not concrete substance to support a hypothesis then it is invalid and I think in Ms. Elisa’s case there was no concrete substance so I don’t believe that their would be any changes in the way the community views her and her goals, aims and outcomes which she wish to accomplish at the school.
HubertPascual
HubertPascual

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty reply to case study 4

Post  sabaldora Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Response to Case Study 4
Ewart Caballero

Ones ability to communicate is of vital importance, it is obvious that Mrs.Elisa possess excellent communication skills. because of this skill, she was able to attract not only the members of her staff but also the parents in the communtiy. Eventhough she has her own personal problem, she was still able to asssist a number of people in her community. it is obvious that her advice works, because there was always a never ending flow of teachers and parents seeking advice.

Mrs. Elisa displayed professionalism in the way she handled the situation regarding the parent, she was able to effectiively difuse the problem without affecting her credibility. i dont think parents will stop seeking Mrs Elisa's Advice because it works for them.[center]

sabaldora

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty response to case study four

Post  lbaca204 Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:17 pm

I believe that Ms. Chan is a professional individual. She must have had good fiduciary relationship with parents and teachers, how comes they seek for her advices. She had good principal- teacher-parent-student relationship, her teachers handed their lesson plans on time and were very active in school activities and her parents were more involved in school activities that ever.
she responded professionally to th issue brought up by the parent. She dealt with it the proper way, she was very calm when she confronted the parent and asked her to go to her office where the problem was dealt privately. The problem seemed to be solved for nothing was heard from the parent nor the principal. If nothing was heard from both i believe that the parent was confused and did wrong in accusing Ms. Chan for something she has not done.

lbaca204

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Vincent Lanza’s response to the Case study by Luis Ku and Gaudencio Mucul

Post  vlanz558 Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:21 am

Vincent Lanza’s response to the Case study written by Luis Ku and Gaudencio Mucul

Discussion Questions:
1. Why didn’t anyone know anything
To this point, still nobody knows since it was never stated in the passage above.

Because of the fact that it is only a suspicion, it is unfair to judge Miss Elisa, so I would still seek here good advice.
Since we still can’t decide what the real problem was, my views of her would remain the same. Nevertheless, people sometimes distort simple things such as walking with another person to be signs of intimacy. I would give her the benefit of the doubt and she would still be my friend.
Children learn things and forget them even faster. I believe that any misunderstanding would quickly be cleared up since Miss Elisa is so wise and qualified as described above.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Re: Case Study 4

Post  vlanz558 Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:23 am

Vincent Lanza’s response to the Case study written by Luis Ku and Gaudencio Mucul

Discussion Questions:
1. Why didn’t anyone know anything
The principal was very calm and professional and confidentiality was kept.

Because of the fact that it is only a suspicion, it is unfair to judge Miss Elisa, so I would still seek here good advice.
Since we still can’t decide what the real problem was, my views of her would remain the same. Nevertheless, people sometimes distort simple things such as walking with another person to be signs of intimacy. I would give her the benefit of the doubt and she would still be my friend.
Children learn things and forget them even faster. I believe that any misunderstanding would quickly be cleared up since Miss Elisa is so wise and qualified as described above.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Case Study #4

Post  kseba750 Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:16 am

Discussion Questions:
I think that Miss Elisa was truly a professional that's why no one knew what transpired that day. It was honestly nobody's business. not the teachers or the students, and i think that we see this happen at schools where we have attended. There is a commotion and right after all the teachers are in their lounge gossiping about the person or asking questions where they have no business. i like how Ms. Elisa confronts the situation.

Yes i would seek her advice on policies and steps to keep a staff in good communication or running in the same manner as the writer has described in the study. From the way she goes about things I would go to see her for other things too cause she seems like an approachable person. She did not try to embarrass the parent or cause an unnecessary scenery for the students to go home and talk about.

I think i would be an admirer of the principal, trying to be as professional as she is in every way. I would see her as an ideal professional.

No, in fact, i think if i read the study correctly the students and the community at large will be more than assured that their principal has taken care of another situation discretely and that if any time the would have a concern or a problem that the entire school would not have to know for it to be solved or resolved.

kseba750

Back to top Go down

Post  wwill897 Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:05 pm

i believe that no one knew anything about what happened because of the way she dealt with the situation in a professional manner.she managed to move the parent away from the area where the teachers and students were. as professionals there should be some level of confidentiality. however as a vice principal of the school i would find it wrong to be giving parents recommendations for their marriage. i would look at her at a totally different perspective but still maintain the respect for her as my principal. for the children who understand the situation i believe that they would say that she is getting into peoples marriages but at the same time i think that they would still respect her as their principal.

wwill897

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Response to Case Study # 4

Post  amend219 Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:15 am

Annaese Mendez

No, one knew anything about the issue because miss Elisa kept it a secret. She probably did not want her personal life interfere with her professional one.

Yes, I would, because that is her personal life , and that does not means that she cannot perform her duties as a principal. However, she must ensure that she behave professionally in and out of the school compound at all times because of her position.

No different, except that I would definately give her some advice about it.

4. Do you think that this incident will change the perception of the children and the community towards Miss Elisa? Yes, because she is a role model for the student, teachers and other parents. They will see her in a different way, becasue they will now have something to use to make judgements about her whether it is true or not some of the people will still believe it.

amend219

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Response to case study 4

Post  Lucia Itza Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:37 pm

I believe that the principal behaved very professional as it would be required. She demonstrated to have had a good relationship with the students, teachers and parents according to the improvement of the educational system in that particular school. Well, it states that parents cooperated which shows a good sign of development and interest for the school. Although it doesn't states what transpired in the office, I do believe that Ms. Elisa really behaved professionally by not arguing publicly with the female on the school compound,rather, Ms. Elisa took this female to the office to settle matters. Unfortunately, we were left floating as to what occurred next. Let's use our imagination.

Lucia Itza

Back to top Go down

Case Study 4 Empty Response: Case study #4 Viola Lanza

Post  vwest502 Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:16 am

Response: Case study #4
Student: Viola Lanza
Course: Professionalism in Education
Case study: Elisa Chan relationship with parents

As a teacher or vice-principal of the school I would not be bother as what happen. Miss Elisa is still a professional teacher. So I would still seek for her advice. What ever happened would not change my way as to what she is a person who is dedicated to her profession. Moreover it was all a suspicion. Having talked, Miss Elisa and Mrs. Nubia were able to clarify everything. Because it could be it was just and rumor and it was cleared then nobody got to know about the incident. Miss Elisa is a professional and she knew how to solve the problem.
As a female parent I would still seek Miss Elisa’s advice. Even if I knew I would still seek advice from her. I have nothing against her since she is a professional and dedicates herself to her profession. I do not think that this incident would change the perception of the children and the community towards Miss Elisa. It was all rumors people trust in her and has seen how dedicated she is towards her profession so people wouldn’t easily believe what is said about her. Moreover she will be the same person dedicated to her profession. As for the children they forget things easily.

vwest502

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down