Case Study 6

Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Case Study 6

Post  Caroline Awardo on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 am

Caroline Awardo & Keisha Sebastian
Professionalism in Education EDUC 221
Case Study

Harry the Exceptional Teacher

Teacher Harry was the Principal and a very enthusiastic teacher, fresh out of the

University of Belize, and had great plans for his students. He used innovative methods in

his class. Student’s seemed to be progressing under his guidance because even the

slowest child was performing better. This was documented in his grade book. Parents

loved him and showed their appreciation by sending him little gifts. Many were so

contented they would remind teacher Harry to ‘lash’ their children if necessary to keep

them in line and doing their best.

Teacher Harry was big fellow, very athletic and demanded respect simply by his

appearance. He often conducted evening classes to bridge the gaps in his student’s

learning. He was known to review test with his students and give make up so all had a

chance to pass. He was also known to be strict and serious about education. The only

thing children dreaded was to receive corporal punishment from teacher Harry. One

evening a very mischievous student decided to antagonize his neighbor during evening

class seat work. This ended in a fight right inside the classroom and teacher Harry was

really upset that students could find time to fight instead of doing their work. Rick was

scheduled for seven lashes; four because he had broken the ‘no fighting’ rule and three

because he had antagonized his classmate. Teacher Harry began administering the

punishment. After four lashes Rick’s hand began to bleed. It appears that the edge of the

large wooded ruler had cut his hand. Being well prepared, as usual, teacher Harry quickly

cleaned up the wound and applied a dressing from his first aid kit. He took Rick home

and informed the parent of what had occurred. They accepted his apology and passed it

off as a normal incident. A neighbor who heard of what happened called social Services.

An investigation was conducted and the incident was documented. The case did not go to

court because Rick’s parents did not press charges. Teacher Harry was warned to be

careful of future child abuse cases.

Discussion Questions

1. Do you think teacher Harry is abusive? Why or why not.

2. Was the ‘board ruler’ an acceptable instrument to be used for corporal punishment?

3. Is corporal punishment really necessary today with advanced technology and increased leaning?

4. What measure would you take as a parent if your child was enrolled in this school?

5. What stand would you take as a local manager to avoid re-occurrence of such scandal in the future?

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty reply to case study 6

Post  wwill897 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:23 pm

i believe that he is abusive form the minute he used a wooden ruler to lash the child. even though the parent of the child had given him permission for him to so such action it was wrong of him to use such force and cause a wound to the child.

the broad ruler was not an acceptable instrument to be used for such punishment.there are the plastic rulers that can be used.

Corporal punishment i believe is not needed at this stage i believe that instead of lashing a child there are alternatives methods such as demerit cards or even have them do certain duties around the school to cover up for these unacceptable behaviors.

i would have taken the same measures that the neighbor had took because as a teacher i believe there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child.

i would implement a rule that these instrument be not used within the school as a form of discipline. secondly i would advise teachers to call in parents of students who are misbehaving so as to allow them to explain why they are punishing the child and at the same time, i would be giving them a report on their child.

wwill897

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Reply to Case Study #6

Post  Krista G on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:35 pm

I do believe that Mr. Harry was abusive. This is so because I do not believe that we have to injure our students to get the desired behaviour from them. There are many alternative forms of disciplining. Even if it was an "accident" that the edge of the wooden ruler hit the boy, such degrees of pain should not be a means of discipline. In fact, from the first instance, a wooden ruler, I believe, is not an acceptable "instrument" for disciplining, much less a LARGE wooden ruler. I stand very strong against corpral punishment, especially in today's day and age with increased technology and advanced studies in child behavior and innovative discipling strategies and classroom management skills being shared with us educators. Not all children "need" corpral punishment in order to get them to "behave". It is true that some children, if not most, respond to such means of punishment because of fear of experiencing pain, however, there are some children whoa re well disciplined at home that respond quite favorably to other means of discilpline. There are psychological tacts that can be used, like positive reinforcements.
if my child was enrolled in that school, I would make it clear from day 1 to Mr. harry that I do not wish to hear at any instance that he hit my child. I would share with him my opinion that corpral punishment isn't necessary and whatever other means that will not do harm to child could be implemented because although I do not want him to hit my child, I do want him to discipline my child. I would also share my concerns with the principal. If he does resort to hitting my child, I would have to deal with him by cutting off his hand(just kidding), I would report him to the ministry and since am sure that there are many parents that would be in agreement with me, I would get several petitions to have the issue addressed.
As the administrator of the school, I would ensure that Mr. Harry find alternative non-abusive ways of disciplining the students and should there be any other incidence of the same nature, I would have to resort to sanctioning him. This would be done in both written and verbal form. he would be commended on the areas in which he is quite "successful" though. After all, he is human and not perfect so his attention would be called so that he can further improve himself as a professional.
Krista G
Krista G

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Re: Case Study 6

Post  Leuis Ku on Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:52 am

Leuis Ku
reply to case study 6

For students to love a teacher, I believe that such a teacher must be loving too. It is a two way street. Harry was loved because he loved. I don-t think he was an abusive teacher. It was probably the first time that he committed such a big mistake. Or else, he would have been warned before and thus he wouldn't have done it. |Moreover, at U.B., the student in the educational program is taught about child abuse and corporal punishment issues. He was taught that, he knew very well that corporal punishment is a no. At U.B. students really learn ethical, professional and acceptable standards in the realm of education. The ruler was made to measure and to draw lines< therefore, it is not the adequate instrument to use for lashing. Harry should have used a belt to lash the child once authorized by the principal.
As a parent, I would certainly not "give permission" to Mr. Harry to lash my child. I would ask him to right me a letter to inform me of any concern he may have about my child. I would then go to meet him at school and workout the best for my child. As the manager of the school, I would meet with the entire staff of the school and invite a professional on corporal punishment and let such person facilitate a workshop to all of us. We certainly need to be fully informed of all alternatives that today's world offers. I strongly believe that in today's day and age, corporal punishment is unacceptable and detrimental to our children. In my opinion, Mr. Harry owes an apaology not only to Rick's parents, but most importantly to Rick, his student.

Leuis Ku

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Reply to case study #6

Post  Gaudencio Mucul on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:12 pm

I think that the principal is abusive because it is clearly stated in the story that the principal was very strict when it came to discipline that even the children feared. I think that being a very good teacher entails well performance both academically and disciplinary.However we have to remember that as atated in the handbook of Policies and Procedures the principal or a senooir teacher can exercise corporal punishment if the situation requires it . However, in this case i don't think that the principal uses it accordingly because just by the way his students felt tells a lot about him when it comes to discipline.
I think that the principal acted impulsively because the ruler is definitely not the corect instrument to use due to the sharp edges that it has. I think that he should have apoted other measures of discipline.
I think that corporal punishment is not necesssary nowadays because there are so many other alterantive forms of discipline. I think that corporal punishment should be the last option or resort for a give problem.
As a parent I think that would address the principal and let him know of my ideas about corporal punishment. I would try to encourage him to abstain from practising it, by letting him know of the emotional effects it causes on our children. I would advise him not to solve a problem of that nature in the manner that he does with my child, this of course I would do in a very polite and respectful way. Finally I would commend him on his excellent job and the continued support that as a parent I am willing to offer.
As his local manager I would arrange a meeting with him to advise him of actions. I would remind him of the job we are entrusted to carry out and the negative actions that we must try to avoid. As the local manager I would try to persuade him to make use of other methods of discipline. finally I would offer my support for special workshops about discipline so that the principal and teachers are aware of the consequencies,and options in corporal punishment.
Gaudencio Mucul
Gaudencio Mucul

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Case Study 6

Post  Marleena Herrera on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:11 am

Marleena Herrera
Case Study 6
October 10, 2008
Harry the exceptional teacher

I believe that, even though Mr. Harry, the principal, had the authority to discipline students he was very abusive. He could have used alternative measure to deal with the problem. I believe that because of his angriness, he resorted to corporal punishment. I also believe that despite being a good teacher the damage he caused to Rick’s hand could have resulted in serious action against him.

In this situation I believe, that any form of instrument use by the principal, could have cause damage to the child’s hand. This is because the punishment was too severe. Seven lashes transferring from the hands of an adult to a child is quite reflective of slavery days.

Teachers do not have to resort to classroom punishment if there is effective communication between the parent, student and the teacher at the beginning and through out the school year. The use of new and innovative ideas can be also implemented in the classroom for children to become active learner and this will limit their time for disruptive behavior.

If my child was enrolled in this school, I would talk to the Principal to ensure that he inform parent first of the disciplinary measure he need to take before administering them to students. This way the parent will be aware of what is taking place. I would also advise him to always tell students of his disciplinary action with a senior teacher, and parent so that they can reach a communicable decision.

As the local manger to avoid the re-occurrence of such scandal in the future I would advise Mr. Harry to always be conscious of the rules and regulation of such disciplinary action. I would talk to him on a personal level and a professional level then I would file a report on the matter, give him a personal copy of the report to ensure that he is aware of the action that can be brought against him.

Marleena Herrera

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Response to Case Study 6

Post  sandra smith on Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:07 pm

I don’t think teacher Harry was abusive. He did not need to administer corporal punishment to the child but could have done so in some other form. The use of the ruler was not appropriate; this is why the child was injured because of the edge of the ruler. The force used by the strength of Mr. Harry helped to injure the child. The teacher did not intend to injure the child but he did not realize his own strength when administering the slashes. Some students are used to beating hence it won’t be effective for them. There are other ways to administer punishment like a demerit system where the child may be doing some sort of duty after class. For cases that are extreme the child may be suspended for some days with additional duties to get done during that period. Parents know what their children are capable of doing; this is why they should get with teachers and have sessions where they speak about the child’s behavior whether good or bad. Parents can help teachers come up with creative and alternative ways in disciplining the students and let them understand the terms of the punishment. As a manager it should be stated to teachers that corporal punishment should not be administered, hence conduct workshops to help teachers to find alternative ways to deal with students’ behavior. Some students are really out of control and need to be dealt with but not by corporal punishment.
sandra smith
sandra smith

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Reply to Case Study 6

Post  icruz281 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:36 pm

As the principal I know that the principal could give corporal punishment but in my opinion I think the principal was too harsh with the student but not abusive. Even though he was given permission from the parents to discipline htier children but not at that point. He could have carry out the punoshment by hitting the child on his buttocks which is the best part to las the child and would have a better chance as not tohurt the child severely. Then in anothet case he could have found other measures to deal with the child. I think that in the end of all this commotion, the principal need to discuss with his staff and find other means of how to discipline children in the school. The case study is very good. I think this study have occured already in certain school where other parents have had to call the education department and others of interest to the situation.
There were some little grammatical errors but was good overall.
icruz281
icruz281

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Response to case study # 6

Post  amend219 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:27 am

Annaese Mendez

Ido think that the teacher was abusive because, he could have used other forms of punishment instead of hitting the student.

2. Was the ‘board ruler’ an acceptable instrument to be used for corporal punishment?

Yes, I think so because I have seen principals and policemen use them to whip students before. However, only assigned teachers, principals and vice-principals should administer corporal punishment.

3. Is corporal punishment really necessary today with advanced technology and increased leaning?

Yes, because the children born in this generation are very strong-will.

4. What measure would you take as a parent if your child was enrolled in this school?

I would investigate the issue, however, if my child was fighting in the classroom and he was the one to start it, I would not be upset.

5. What stand would you take as a local manager to avoid re-occurrence of such scandal in the future?

I would advise the teachers of this school to refrain from using corporal punishment, and ask the principal and vice-principal to handle such situations so as to avoid futher scandals.

amend219

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Case study 6

Post  Cristavel Membreno on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:04 pm

Name: Cristavel Membreno
Class: Professionalism in Education

No, I don’t think that the teacher was abusive. The way he carried himself and how he was welled liked by his co-workers and parents show what kind of person he is. Most of the parents gave him permission to “lash” their child. But even with that permission he didn’t take advantage of it. That is until a students decided to cause a fight in class. The “board ruler” is an acceptable instrument for corporal punishment. My primary school teacher used a slash cord but the effect was all the same, you did wrong you got punished. It is sometimes necessary to go back to the old ways because even though we have made all of these advancements, we sometimes get blinded by all these stuff and need to be put back into line.
As a parent I would look into what was the cause of the punishment. If the punishment was justified, I would at least ask that the instrument be changed to something else. As a local manager I would ask the teacher to use another form of punishment besides the “board ruler”.
Cristavel Membreno
Cristavel Membreno

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Respond to case Study

Post  Doroteo Correa on Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:31 pm

Well I think that the way how teachers act should not be debated because their are teachers who might be pushed to used that extreme measures because the student need to be guide in a proper way and else because he have been granted permission and due that he haved been granted permission because the parent know how his kid act. therfore if the child began to increase thier grade is because it was a good measure h3e was using. And working hand to hand with parents i think it is a good way how he treated his students. Therefor, I think that he is not an abusive teacher but he is trying to care and treat children to overcome with their studies.

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Vincent Lanza's response to case study 6

Post  vlanz558 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:20 am

Response to case study 6
By Vincent Lanza

I think that Harry was an abusive teacher. I think that it was an isolated incident that could have been avoided. It is stated in the Teacher’s Handbook of policies that a principal or senior teacher with permission from the principal could conduct corporal punishment. If he did not get permission then he has to be reprimanded for that.

I could remember being lashed with a piece of bamboo at school by a BDF/ teacher, so I don’t think that the board ruler is that bad. I would have preferred it. I think that Mr. Harry did not mean to cut the child. If he had known that the edge of the ruler was sharp he would not have used it.

There have been rude kids and there will always be rude kids. It even seems that they are getting worst. I believe that the role parents should play in their child’s upbringing is slowly deteriorating due to many factors such as single parenting, two parents working, crime, television’s influence, etcetera… I don’t think that any teacher should involve themselves with corporal punishment because you can’t tell what the parent’s reaction will be. Furthermore, with the crime situation and with children roaming freely and hanging out, you can easily be targeted by gangs. I have heard about teachers finding all tires on their cars punctured at home and at school and their homes being blasted with rocks in the middle of the night. Worse things can happen, so I would advice not to concern your self with corporal punishment.

I would visit the school and check on my child’s performance from time to time and become aware of any situation far before it gets worst. This is what all parents should be doing. Haven’t you noticed that most of the time, if not, always, the students who perform lower, behave badly, or have no interest in classes are always those of the parents who seldom show up for PTA and class meetings?

As a local manager I would update teachers about corporal punishment and encourage them to familiarize themselves with the handbook of policies. I would also ask parents to monitor their child’s progress more closely.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Case study

Post  vwest502 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:24 am

Viola Lanza
Reply to case study #6
I do believe that teacher Harry is an abusive. Harry lashed the child until he bleed. As professionals we should not use corporal punishment on our students. As professionals we should find other ways to punish children. Corporal punishment is not the best option, not even for a principal. Many times the more it is used the more aggressive the child gets. So the problem is not solved. The board ruler is not an acceptable instrument used for corporal punishment. No, corporal punishment is not necessary today with advanced technology and increased learning. As I have mentioned there are other ways to punish a child. I would first of all ensure that the teacher of my child is not using corporal punishment. If at any time the principal lashes my child I will surely report it to the social department. Yes a teacher can punish a child but not corporal punishment. As local manager I would talk to the principal and tell him/her about the consequences of corporal punishment and advice him/her what to do in such cases.

vwest502

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Response to Case study 6 Hubert Pascual

Post  HubertPascual on Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:20 am

There must be more to it than simply to think he is abusive. His record shows that parents
loved him and showed their appreciation by sending him little gifts. Many were so
satisfied with him and they would remind teacher Harry to ‘lash’ their children if necessary to keep them in line and doing their best. Students were progressing under his watch, so he must have been doing something right. You see this is the thing with us human beings we tend to eliminate all the good a person have done and replace it with the one bad/wrong that they do. It is true that the rule was seven lashes for the fighting and antagonizing maybe lashing was the in thing then, the case study did not provide the timeline because we must remember corporal punishment was right for as back in history, and if he was disciplining with a ruler as the last resort then he was not abusive and if he did it as the first resort then he is abusive. I think there are other objects that can be used for administering corporal punishment, but I think a sash cord or wire may have been worse and unacceptable. I do not believe that corporal punishment is necessary but a spanking now and then is good to keep a child in line, at time too much talking does not give you the desired outcome so extreme measures must be taken as a matter of fact parent gave him the extreme edge. If it was my child if then I would check the teacher and explain that he can administer corporal punishment but not to the extent that the child is physically scarred, and can cause emotional trauma. As manager of the school I would not have the situation repeat itself as it can put the name of the school and our educational approach in danger.
HubertPascual
HubertPascual

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Response to case Study #6

Post  Ewart Caballero on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:11 am

Ewart Caballero
10th October 2008

Response to case study 6
The case study described Harry as an exceptional teacher, this may be true for many aspects of teacher harry. But I believe that an exceptional teacher would have also been exceptional when it comes to disciplining students. A trained teacher is aware of alternative discipline and has the necessary skilled to handle every situation professionally. It seem to me that teacher harry was more feared than respected

Ewart Caballero

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty case study 6

Post  felomenaserano on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:18 am

Corporal punishment is an outdated method to deal with children. As a person fresh from a university we should know this. Some parents are not aware of this hence they allow their children to be whipped at school Cool . As a principal Mr. Harry should have know better. Using the board ruler indicates that the teacher didn't want to hurt the child. Crying or Very sad Sometimes when we are upset we do things the wrong way. It is mentioned that he is a big person. Imagine the force adhere in order for that child's hand to burst. If these people were being influenced negatively who knows if Mr. Harry would still have a job. The reason for training is not only to teach children but also how to adhere positive discipline. I believe that if I was a parent of that school I would try to advise Mr. Harry against using corporal punishment. When a child is injured you will be responsible to the parents and the society.

felomenaserano

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Response to case study 6

Post  Lucia Itza on Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:56 pm

As the scenario states, Teacher Harry was very dedicative in his work, respected by parents and responsible in his work. Although all these qualities demonstrate that he was very professional in regards to the teaching aspect. I think that he should have demonstrated other alternatives as to how to discipline the students. Yes, some children overpass their limits and yes do deserve to be punished. Corporal punishment works at times,but, you need to know when and how to apply it. There are times in which children are looking for attention when misbehaving, not everything would then be lashing which leads to physical abuse. Mr.Harry should have reacted different with this child maybe giving a little counseling or appoint this child to a responsibility in which the child will feel very important. This will then change the behavior of the child.

Lucia Itza

Back to top Go down

Post  maria borallos on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:03 pm

Maria Borallos

We often hear from our parents that in the past things were different; that it took a community to raise a child, that children were more respectful, that the streets were very safe for the people to walk around and so. Today, this is not the case. Hitting a child regardless of the reason why is corporal punishment that is prosecuted by the law. Based on the history clearly outlined in this case I do believe that teacher Harry was an abusive teacher. Any object used to hit a child is not acceptable because according to the children's right it is child abuse and should be dealt accordingly.
I do strongly believe however, that it would be just right if we could bring back some of the things in the past to alleviate concerns of the present. Many of our youths are in jail or correctional institutions because they were never corrected or spank in time to avoid these mishaps. Children’s right is a very good program that protects the rights of the children however; it has also been the cause of so many wrong doing of our youths today.
If I had a child enrolled in this school I would certainly like for teacher Harry to teach him. In my view, his only interest and concern is for his students to excel. I would try my best to keep abreast about my child’s educational development by meeting with the teacher and discussing his performance and behavior. If my child is guilty of wrong doings then he should be dealt with. Sometimes it is best to get a good whip in time than to end behind bar or at the cemetery.
To avoid further re-occurrences of such scandal the principal should inform or warm teacher Harry that what he is doing is wrong. He should also tell teacher Harry that is responsible of the children’s’ well being and that despite of what are his believes, there is the belief of children’s right commission who can send him behind bars.

maria borallos

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucia Itza on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:37 pm

I strongly agree that teacher Harry was very abusive. In now a days society in which there is the advancement of modern technology it is not necessary to continue practicing corporal punishment. He could have used another way of disciplining so as not hurting the child. Sometimes the punishment used will alter the child's behavior. The child who does something wrong is because he/she needs attention. What are we doing to better off the misbehavior. Teacher Harry could have counseled the child rather than just hitting or could have assigned the child to a task in which the child will be proud. This could have improved the child's behavior.

Lucia Itza

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty respond to case study 6

Post  lbaca204 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:54 am

I do believe that teacher Harry was abusive. He didn’t have to go to the extent of wiping a child with such a force that it will cut open his skin. He could have punished the kid by putting him on jug or carrying out other school work after classes. There are many ways of disciplining a child with out applying corporal punishment. Sometimes when we wipe or lash a kid he/she gets worst instead of behaving.

The ruler was definitely not an acceptable instrument to be used for corporal punishment. He could have spanked the kid with the palm of his hand on his shin or if he wanted to use a ruler he could have used a plastic ruler or a thin whip and not apply too much force when hitting the child.

Corporal punishment in today’s days is not necessary. With advanced learning and technology, we are aware of the many ways of dealing with kids with all sorts of behaviors.

I would strictly tell the teacher not to corporally punish my child. I would make him know of the various ways of disciplining a child and the consequences he can have if he corporally punishes a child.

I would talk to the teacher concerning corporal punishment and the different ways of disciplining a child. I would schedule a workshop for all teachers concerning corporal punishment.

lbaca204

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Reflection 6

Post  lgonz971 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:30 am

Teacher Harry seemed to be the perfect teacher but like everything else in life nothing is perfect. everything has a defect. Being the educated teacher that he was Mr. Harry should have known that corporal punishment should have been the last method that he should have used as a teacher. He should have also considered his size and take into consideration that he was using a wooden ruler. I do believe that punishment is necessary but I don't think that it needs to be done in excess. Teacher Harry could have used other methods to deal with the problems that he was facing with his students. We need to remember that it is disciplining and not punishment. Corporal punishment is necessary sometimes but it is not the only method we can use to deal with students behavioral problems. He is lucky that the student's parents dont want to take any action against him or else he would be in serious problems. Teacher Harry also needs to read his Policy and Procedure Handbook which clearly states that only the principal can apply corporal punishment or someone that the principal delegates.

lgonz971

Back to top Go down

Case Study 6 Empty Re: Case Study 6

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum