Professionalism in Education
EDUC 221

Group Members:
Martha Lino
Marleena Herrera
Krista Lima

Case Study #16- Professional Judgment-administrator
THE FINAL DECISION

One day Mrs. Clara, the principal of St. Joseph School, was sitting in her office busy planning for graduation which was scheduled to be held within two weeks time, when she was approached by one of her Standard six students. Fourteen year old Samantha claimed that she was 6 weeks pregnant. Although Mrs. Clara was busy, she set aside her work to address the student. Being a very approachable, respectable, and caring person, the students all felt comfortable to speak to her openly.
Mrs. Clara questioned Samantha about her situation. It became clear to her that the child was impregnated during a rape incident and that the rapist had been convicted and charged. She also made it clear to Mrs. Clara that her parents were against abortion so she was keeping the child. Samantha said she felt a tremendous deal of stress so decided to talk to her about it.
Mrs. Clara is now puzzled and needs to make a decision. She is aware that it is against the school rules to allow pregnant students in the school system. She also knows that if she goes to the board, it would result in the instant expulsion of the girl. Mrs. Clara decided to consult with her staff members concerning the situation but the majority proved to be undecided. Now, the situation was left in the hands of Mrs. Clara. She had to make the final decision on the matter.
Mrs. Clara reviewed Samantha's record and noted that she is an exemplary and dedicated student who always strives for the best. Based on this and on the very short time left before graduation and on the circumstances that led to Samantha's situation, she decided to allow Samantha to continue and graduate along with her classmates.

1.) Do you think that the principal made the right decision in allowing Samantha to graduate? Why or why not?

2.) If you were one of the teachers consulted, what decision would you have made?

3.) What else could Mrs. Clara have done instead of allowing Samantha to graduate?

4.) If you were the principal, what decision would you have made if confronted with a situation like the above mentioned?

5.) In your opinion, who do you think should make the ultimate decision in a situation like this-the board or the principal?

Idea
Krista G
Krista G

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty REPLY TO CASE STUDY 16

Post  Leuis Ku on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Replying Case # 16

The unfortunate but real situation is one that puts any administrator in a dilemma. Allowing Samantha to graduate was not a hard decision for Ms. Clark since Samantha was a victim of a rapist. The student had nothing to be held responsible for that pregnancy. It was very fair to allow her to graduate. Now, as a teacher being consulted, I would have advised Ms. Clark to allow Samantha to graduate because the fact that the rapist was charged and convicted is enough proof that Samantha had no hidden affair with the rapist. Ms. Clark could have denied graduation to Samantha, yes she could have also done this. Maybe what the inconsiderate principal would have done is to expel Samantha from school, therefore adding burden on the child. If I were a principal I would not only allow her to graduate, but ensure that my student gets moral, physical, spiritual and psychological support as well.
In my opinion, a decision in such situation should be made by the principal on the approval of the school board and management. The stakeholders, in this case - school board and management, should be kept fully abreast when “unusual” decisions are made by principal and staff.

Leuis Ku

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Response to case study # 16

Post  amend219 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:39 am

Annaese Mendez

1.) Do you think that the principal made the right decision in allowing Samantha to graduate? Why or why not?

Yes, I believe that the principal made the right decision, because it was not the child's fault for getting pregnant. Moreover, it already time for graduation, which means that the child would be out of the classroom. I would have done the same thing by allowing her to graduate because it makes no sense to punish her for something that she did not purposefully did to herself. No one should keep her from getting her education because she was a victim of rape.

2.) If you were one of the teachers consulted, what decision would you have made?

I would have voted yes in saying that she could graduate.

3.) What else could Mrs. Clara have done instead of allowing Samantha to graduate?
She could have given her the certificate but not allowed her to participate in the actual ceremony of the graduation.

4.) If you were the principal, what decision would you have made if confronted with a situation like the above mentioned?

I would have done exactly what the principal decided to do. First, to inform and discuss the matter with the staff and then allowing her to graduate.

5.) In your opinion, who do you think should make the ultimate decision in a situation like this-the board or the principal?

Definately the principal, because she is the one who knows and deals with the students on a daily basis.

amend219

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Case Study 16

Post  Cristavel Membreno on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:17 pm

Name: Cristavel Membreno
Class: Professionalism in Education

Yes, I think the principal made the right decision in this sinario. The circumstances under which the student became impregnated were beyond her control. As a teacher consulted on this matter, I would have voted for the student to graduate but not only that I would go further as to inquire weather the student really wanted to keep this child or weather or not it was the choice of the family. Because it might be that student also feel responsible for what might have happened to her and that the family not knowing how to handle this also blames her for what happened.
Besides what Mrs. Clara did, I would have also gotten her some emotional assistance like talking to a consoler, after going through turmoil like that a person needs to be able to talk to someone.
As a principal I would have done exactly what Mrs. Clara did. The situation was not the child’s fault. I think the board should have come to a decision together. Because if anything else came of it say legally, then not only the principal should take the fall for it.
Cristavel Membreno
Cristavel Membreno

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Vincent Lanza's response to case study 16 Professional Judgment-administrator

Post  vlanz558 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:39 am

Response to case study 16 Professional Judgment-administrator
By Vincent Lanza

1) Do you think that the principal made the right decision in allowing Samantha to graduate? Why or why not? Yes. I believe that Mrs. Clara made the right decision because of the circumstances that led to Samantha getting pregnant. If she had gone against her own moral judgment and have Samantha expelled, then she would be going against the epitome of what we stand for.

I would give vouch strongly for her to remain in school and finish out the school year. Even if the situation was any different, I would still vote the same way because doing otherwise would mean turning our backs on two, not one, young people and robbing the mother of a second chance. We all deserve a second chance.

If the pregnancy was very obvious, then arrangements for independent studies and taking tests and the final exams could be made.

The situation is easy to deal with because it is an innocent child that everything is directed to. What I mean that doing good for her will have a life long impact on both of their lives. So by making the recommendations as in the previous questions, Samantha could be helped now and in the long run. She will be able to depart with her diploma and attend high school at night provided she is assisted.

5.) In your opinion, who do you think should make the ultimate decision in a situation like this-the board or the principal? If the board is not flexible enough to understand the situation, then they need not be bothered, and the principal could make the decision. Furthermore, the child will be long gone if word ever gets out about the decision. The principal could then defend her point of view and the board could agree or disagree about her judgment, but either way, both Samantha and her child would have benefited from Mrs. Clara moral judgment.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty res

Post  vwest502 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:43 am

Reply to case study
Viola Lanza
Mrs Cara was fair and did the right decision in allowing Samantha to graduate. Samantha is an exemplary and dedicated student who always strives for the best, she has a future ahead, and by not allowing her to graduate she will be cutting off her future. Also she is an innocent child and a victim of a rapist. If I was a teacher I would have voted for her to continue school and graduate. I think that there is nothing else she could have done, it was the best decision, and she could have not allowed her to continue school which is not the best decision. If I was the principal I would have allowed her to continue school. I think that the principal should make the decision after consulting the school board and management.

vwest502

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Response to Case study 16 Hubert Pascual

Post  HubertPascual on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:41 am

I think the principal hit the nail on the head by making the student graduate. The first thing she did was checking the record and immediately found that the student was exceptional in academics.
The situation though is one that can occur in real life and most of the time if a situation is in conflict with polices then there are some people who stick to the rule of laws and polices. Allowing the child to graduate and being a bright child was an act of the child moving forward because after giving birth the child can continue with her education. It would make no sense to expel a student for circumstance beyond their control. A certificate means a lot in this day and age but is she would not have allowed her to complete the classes then the least she could have done as the principal was to allow the teachers in her staff who were informed of the scenario to prepare packages of work for student while she is at home. I would have preferred to keep the child in school and announce the situation to my superiors because one it could have cost me my job and two maybe the situation may have influenced other standard six girls to get pregnant, not knowing the situation of Samantha.
I know the board is responsible for a major decision for a case of this magnitude because the prestige of the school is on line, and with today’s media this story could have put the school in an uncomfortable situation especially if it was a catholic school. So as a professional I would have reported the situation but develop as convincing case to allow the child to finish of send assignment packages to the child to successfully complete her primary school certificate. She deserves it was just ill fate.
HubertPascual
HubertPascual

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty case 16 Professional judgment - Administrator

Post  Caroline Awardo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:32 am

1. i believe the principal made the right choice because Samantha was raped and there was no reason to punish her.
2. I would have decided for the good of the student since there was a short time to graduation.
3. Even if they decided the student should not march up, she should have been given the privilege to take her exam and receive her certificate of completion.
4. I would have allowed the student to finish her education with pride.
5. If the graduation was far away I would have consulted with the board. In this case,the principal ddi the right thing.

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Response to case Study #16

Post  Ewart Caballero on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:47 am

Ewart Caballero
Response to case Study #16

All institutions and organization are founded on certain rules and regulation that its employee must try their best to protect, but then again these rules are not carve into stone and are usually subject to change. In certain situation there are exceptions to the rule. I believe the situation presented above warrants an exception to the rule. If I was one if the teachers consulted to make a decision I would have supported the idea of the child being given a opportunity to graduate. But because the decision would not be mine alone I would have taken it to the board in support of the child graduating. Then whatever decision the board makes afterwards I would have been more than willing to accept.

Ewart Caballero

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Response to case study 16

Post  lbaca204 on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 pm

I surely believe that the principal made the right decision in allowing Samantha to graduate. The girl didn't have the fault, she was raped.

2.) If you were one of the teachers consulted, what decision would you have made? If I was one of the teacher consulted I would have Voted for her to participate in the graduation.

3.) What else could Mrs. Clara have done instead of allowing Samantha to graduate? Mrs Clara could have just given her the certificate.

4.) If you were the principal, what decision would you have made if confronted with a situation like the above mentioned? I believe i would have done the same as Mrs. clara.

5.) In your opinion, who do you think should make the ultimate decision in a situation like this-the board or the principal? In situation as such i think the principal should make the ultimate decision.

lbaca204

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Reply to case study 16

Post  maria borallos on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:17 pm

Maria Borallos

I strongly support the principals’ decision to allow Samantha to graduate. As the case clearly outlined the child was not responsible of the unfortunate mishap. She was a victim like so many other women in this world. Despite of what happened she has the right to successfully complete her studies. In this case it is clear that Samantha is an exemplary student who have always strive for the best. I don’t think that all her efforts and aspirations should be thrown in the garbage because of worthless animal who decided to condemn her for life. If it was left to me I would have voted for her to remain in the class. I don’t think there was anything else that Mrs. could have done. If I follow the school book of policies then there is no question about it the board would definitely be the one with the last word which will not favor Samantha despite of the circumstance; however, this case is special and I believe that the principal did the appropriate thing.

maria borallos

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Response to case study 16

Post  Lucia Itza on Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm

1. I believe that Mrs. Clara, the principal made the right decision in allowing Samantha to graduate, since she was a victim of rape.

2. If being a teacher and consulted if whether Samantha is to graduate, I would have definitely agreed because this child has no fault, she was just used for pleasure of an insane person.

3. Mrs. Clara could have also given Samantha her certificate in case of another option.

4. I would have done just like Mrs.Clara. As professionals we need to analyze and make the right decision which will be for the betterment of the child. In such a case in which the child is a victim.

5. In a case like this, I believe that the principal has the ultimate decision.

Lucia Itza

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty reply to case study # 16

Post  Gaudencio Mucul on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:08 am

I think that the principal made a wise decision in allowing Samatha to graduate because she was totally innocent of her situation. The record shows that she is an exemplary student and she is only the victim of an unfortunate act.I applaude principal Clara decision. As a teacher if I was consulted about the situation I would first of all analyze the problem then surely I would support the decision taken by the principal.
Another option that the principal had was probably to award her with her certificate without having to go through the ceremony, especially if it is a religious school. This is only an option that could have been taken into consideration. Another option that the principal could have done is that she could have passed on the situation to the school board. if I was the principal I would surely study the pros and cons and due to the circumstances and with graduation so close I think I would have taken the same decision.In a situation like this I think that the board should have at least been notified and the principal could have supported the girl to graduate. I think that it is the principal along with the board should decide in a case like this.
Gaudencio Mucul
Gaudencio Mucul

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Respond to the case study

Post  Doroteo Correa on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:29 pm

First of all,I need acknowledge teachers who are like this type. Base on fact that samantha was rape does signifies a lot and Because she was totally innocent she must be granted that opportunity to graduate. Base on fact it how that he was a very intelligent student and she was only used or more over she was rape and it does hurt a lot mentally, socially and up to emotionally. As professional teacher we should not apply rules without knowing what happen more than that a teacher should investigate and help the student to over come that situation. More than that think teachers should consider their board and should tell tell so that they are accented with that decision and after all teacher are human and students are also human and we doesn't know what can happen to us.

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

Case Study #16 Empty Re: Case Study #16

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum