case study 3

Go down

case study 3 Empty case study 3

Post  felomenaserano on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:39 pm

Case Study 3
Professional relationship with students
By: Dora Sabal & Felomena Serano
AN UNEXPECTED TWIST
Miss Lovett was a single, first time teacher at St Mary`s Primary School. She got along well with her co-workers and students. Ms. Lovett was a very kind and lovely teacher. Most of the students from the upper divisions were attached to her because she was young. Whenever they got assignments they would seek assistance from her.
Frank a Standard Six student was given an assignment and asked Miss Lovett for help. She told him to go to her house because she was preparing her lesson for the next day. Frank went ahead and went to her house and Miss Lovett assisted him.
One day when Frank was out for break he started making accusations about Ms Lovett to his friends. He told them that Ms. Lovett was his girlfriend and that they had sex at her house. One of the students got upset with Frank and she went and told the principal. A couple days later, one of Ms. Lovettís friend and co-worker went into her class and told her what she had heard from the principal.
Miss Lovett got frustrated and went to the principal. She confronted the principal about the rumors she had heard. The principal confirmed the incident that transpired between her and the student. Miss Lovett got angrier and asked to confront Frank, so the principal sent for him at the office. The principal began to question Frank about the incident but he said he would not speak without the presence of his mother.
So he was sent home for his mother and Miss Lovett was sent in her class after. After some time he arrived with his mother and they went to the office. Miss Lovett was not present when they discussed the matter, after a while the vice principal went for Miss Lovett from her class. The principal told Frank to tell Miss Lovett what he told her, the vice principal and his mother. Frank then said that he didn`t tell his friend Miss Lovett was his girlfriend and had sex, he told them that she tried to touch him, in her class a day when the vice principal walked in on them. Ms Lovett was furious because she had never gotten close to that child and the day the vice principal walked in and sent him out of her class she was busy getting ready for a class and the vice principal had attested to it.
In the end Frank was sent back to the class and the principal apologized to Ms Lovett and told her she new Frank was lying.

(1) Was there fiduciary relationship between Miss Lovett and the principal? Why? Why not?

(2 Did you think Ms Lovett was wrong to ask the student to go to her house?

(3) What advice would you give the principal in regards to dealing with her staff?

(4) What professional advice would you give to Miss Lovett in regards to relationships with her students?

(5) How can Miss Lovett gain the trust of her students and co-workers?

felomenaserano

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Views and opinion about Case study 3

Post  Gaudencio Mucul on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:23 pm

I think that the teacher was just trynig to do her job and that the students and staff were carried out by rumours. Since she is a young teacher it is easy for students to treat her as any other person. She needs to be careful with the young students who already think of boy friends and girlfriends. For a young boy it is easy for him to misinterpret a friendly relationship with one of a more intimidate nature.
The principal in her case should advice Miss Loveth in her way of dealing with student teacher relaationship. Miss Loveth needs to avoid inviting students at her house especially young boys. The principal should also deal with the staff by letting them know of young boys' mentality about relationships with young teachers.
Miss Loveth can gain the trust of her colleagues by continuing the good work and being careful next time how she deals with student asking for help.
Gaudencio Mucul
Gaudencio Mucul

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty REPLYING CASE STUDY 3

Post  Leuis Ku on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:36 pm

I think that Ms Lovette as a novice, had genuine intentions to help students. A piece of advice for her is to meet students only during school hours and on campus. Never meet privately nor alone. The principal should have punished Frank for such defamation done to Ms Lovette. The staff should learn from this incidence. (LUIS KU)

Leuis Ku

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Chapter Moral Autonomy, Accountability & Lifestyle choices

Post  lgonz971 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:08 pm

This was a very enjoyable chapter that made me open my eyes to many things. The title of chapter itself caught my attention. It began by defining what autonomy is and in fact what personal autonomy deals with. It stated "One is controlled by an independent will with a stable, fairly consistent set of emotions and beliefs in contrast to being being controlled by (1) biological of introjected social desires that we consciously reject, or (2) social and external forces that we consciously reject." This is the least that can be expected from a person who is said to be autonomous. It also explained that a sociopath can also be considered to be an autonomous person because the person has the prudential skills needed to evaluate the consequences of personal habits or to make economic career plans. So even though the person may not be stable emotionally the person is still considered to be an autonomous person. Moral autonomy was defined as being governed by social principles that are self-imposed because as a caring moral agent the chooser believes they are the kind of principles that would at least in principle be acceptable to other agents who are rational choosers of their own principles. The next step that a morally autonomous person takes is that the person is accountable to those who surround the person. It does not matter the differences that exist between two persons the reading was explaining that we are all basically equal. Differences will exist but we should try to minimize those differences. We should also be ready to give an account of the things we do and should not treat others indifferently. The chapter then went on to talk about Moral autonomy and Human Virtues in which it explained that we all possess good qualities in us as human beings. As a morally autonomous person we respect the ideas and points of views of others. We can agree to disagree. Another area that was covered in the chapter is Autonomy and Emotional choice. This section deals with the fact that we all have an emotional side to us. We should not try to control others because they are not emotionally stable. We should always remember that we are all equal and that all of us count as one. Some people do not have enough emotional stability and so they need persons to help them make the best choices. The last part of the chapter dealt with Moral autonomy and lifestyle choices. This deals with the fact that as moral persons we should try to live in harmony with each other as we are all spiritual individuals and are all equal.

lgonz971

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Responding to casse study number 3

Post  Doroteo Correa on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:25 am

First of all, teachers indeed should help student but in the school.Ms. loveth due to her ability and passion of teaching she was doing the right thing of assisting the children. Nevertheless their are thing like gossip that is impact so many people and in some occasion had lead to death. Knowing that Ms. Loveth is a very beautiful young and enthusiastic teachers many students would like to have a girlfriend like her. So as that child who got the opportunity to go to Ms loveth house he began to invent so I personally think that as women and men that we are should should respect our house and should tech our children to respect others. As there are rumors it might happen in real life so we should be conscious on what we do and not make thing that seem correct for them be a misunderstanding and lead to sentence in prison. So think twice before acting.

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Case study 3 Professional Relationship with Students

Post  lgonz971 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:28 am

Dealing with students is a very challenging and sometimes hard task for anyone especially someone who is just starting out in the teaching profession. One of the first things that the person must realize is that these young persons can at times think of things that we may not even imagine. It is also very possible and common for a student to have a crush on a teacher especially if the teacher is a very young person. This in one thing that I think professional teachers need to have in mind. All of us have feelings and it is normal for us to be carried away by these feelings. I think that the young man in this case acted the way most young people would react. I honestly think that Ms. Lovett did wrong in inviting the young man to her house. She must could have found some time at school to help this young man. This is a mistake that a lot of teachers make. The relationship between teacher and student should always be a professional one. We can be friends with our students but they must remember that there is a difference between the teacher and the student. Crossing that line can create a lot of problems. I don't think the principal had fiduciary relationship with Ms. Lovett. The student has a right to be heard and to give his side of the story but the teacher should also give her side of the story. I don't think that the principal trusted her teacher at all. An investigation should have been conducted in regards to this situation because it is only an allegation. The principal needs to be aware of the rights of the students as well as that of the teacher. The teacher also needs to be aware of the professional responsibilities that she has. Ms. Lovett needs to know that it is not a good idea to invite students of the opposite sex to her house alone. It is not good to have too close of a relationship with students of any sex. I would advise Ms. Lovett to get acquainted with the Handbook of Policies and Procedures and to stand up for her rights.

lgonz971

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Responding: Professional relationship with students

Post  Pedro Popper on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:21 am

I think that in the teaching profession there should be a line between teacher and student relationship. Many times young people confuse friendship with boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. For instance, a teacher who regularly chooses one particular student to answer questions in class will have a negative feedback. Students will say, "Teacher likes him/her". Rumors may begin and that may lead to serious problems. If the rumor is not addressed immediately, then the outcome can be devastastating.

Miss Lovett is a single, young teacher and this makes her vulnerable to such problesm because she has little experience in the teaching profession. Being an energetic, young teacher is what attracted students to come to Miss Lovett for help. Miss Lovett is a deligent teacher, but she made a wrong choice when she asked a male student to go to her home for help. Miss Lovett should have found time in school to help her student. Based on the incident about Miss Lovett having a relationship with one of her student, it is obvious that there is no fiduciary relationship between Miss Lovett and the principal. The principal should have told Miss Lovett about the rumors going around. The problem should have been addressed as early as possible. Dalaying such an issue will make matters worse.

I think that the principal should support the staff. The principal should confront the rumor and listen to the story of both parties. The principal should develop an atmosphere of trust and unity for the staff. Miss Lovett should help students at school and not at home especially when assisting students of the opposite sex. Children can do so many things beyond what adults can imagine. Students need to be addressed that rumors will be taken seriously and if they are untrue that there will be consequences for bringing down one's reputation. Miss Lovett can gain trust by continuing to work deligently with student and staff. At the same time she should go over the school's regulations and policies. Hope that this problem could also serve as a lesson for Miss Lovett and the whole staff as well.

(Pedro Popper)

Pedro Popper

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Reply to case study 3

Post  Martha Lino on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:13 am

As teachers we do take our job that extra mile to bring out the best in our students. However, we must know how to do so. I believe that as teachers helping our kids should be something we do on the school compound in the present of others. If in any case we need to invite a child to our house for some extra help because we probably don't have the time to stay at school to do so we should ensure that they are accompanied by others or they come in small groups.
Miss Lovett was just trying to help this child but he probably wanted to feel big among his friends and therefore began to spread rumors about her.
The principal was very supported of her and did the right thing by carrying out the right procedure to call in the child's parent to hold a discussion in the present of the vice-principal. As educators if we are not careful we sometimes end up in trouble with either males or females students. We need to know how far to take our relationship with them in order not to be accused.

Martha Lino

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Professional Relationship with Students

Post  Marleena Herrera on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:46 am

Marleena Herrera
Case Study 3
Professional relationship with students

Many times in the teaching profession teachers try very hard to help students to achieve their academic standard without being aware of some of the negative effects students have imposed on them. In Ms. Lovett situation she was genuinely trying to help a student who had opposite intentions. As a result she was wrongly accused by a student and was unprofessionally informed of the situation. The problem was first made known to her by a co-worker instead of the principal who supposedly knew and shared the information with others. This situation proved that there was no fiduciary relationship between Ms. Lovett and the principal as the accused should have been professionally informed.
In this case I donít believe that Ms. Lovett was wrong to ask the student to go to her house. I believe that the manner in which it was done was what attracted the attention. Ms. Lovett should have informed parents, teachers, principal and other students of what she was doing to avoid problems or try to help students at school and avoid taking them to her home. She needs to be extra careful especially when dealing with young student at a professional level to avoid the accusation of unprofessional misconduct.
In the principal case I believe he needs to informed accused first of any situation by before discussing the problem with other teachers. I believe however it was very that it was very professional of Ms Lovett to find out about the situation by first going to the principal. She now has to face the staff, students and parent along with the principle to clarify the matter and try to gain the respect she deserved.

Marleena Herrera

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Response to Case study 3

Post  Cristavel Membreno on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:15 pm

Name: Cristavel Membreno
Date: 17/08/09

This is where the controversy always comes to play, where a teacher draws the line when it comes to students. Is there a fiduciary relationship between Ms. Lovett and the Principal? Itís hard to see because the principal didnít trust to tell Ms. Lovett that an accusation was made against her, he didnít confront her at all until she went to him. Was Ms. Lovett wrong in asking the student to go to her house? I would say yes to yes extent. Yes, if she was already leaving the compound and she had to go get her lesson plan done for the next day. No in that she could have told him to meet her at a time that was convenient to her and she would have still been able to assist in but in a different setting. The principal was not professional in the way he handled the situation. He didnít call Ms. Lovett into his office to clear up the matter and to see if there was any truth to the accusations made against her. Instead Ms. Lovett had to hear that a rumor was going around about her from some one else. My advise to the principal in regards to dealing with her staff would be to see that every accusation made against a staff is looked into because all a person has is his/her reputation and if that is ruined you canít get it back. So if a strong accusation is made as a staff, like the one against Ms. Lovett, look into it get to the bottom of it before it turns into something bigger. My advice to Ms. Lovett would be to set allotted time when students can come to her for assistance and to make sure that it is in a school setting. There is no wrong in helping a student it just has to be in the right circumstances and with conditions. I would think that Ms. Lovett was owed an apology from the principal and probably the student. A staff meeting should be held where the principal would give and account of the situation and how the matter was dealt with and also re-enforce at the meeting conditions under which teachers should meet with students.
Cristavel Membreno
Cristavel Membreno

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Response to case 3 - Professional Relationship with Students

Post  Caroline Awardo on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:44 am

The principal did not show any kind of trust on the part of miss Lovett. She wasn't even the one to tell the teacher what she had heard. That was sad.
Miss Lovett was young so I give her credit for trying to be a good teacher. However, a little training or admonition from her principal could have avoided a host of problems. Unless the teacher was out of control she should have been called from the time the parent arrived with the student to sort out the misunderstanding.
the principal needs some training of her own. She did not deal properly with the situation which indicated that they do not have a good working relationship. This can be truly frustrating or stressful for a teacher.
Miss Lovett should not stop being nice but she needs to be very careful. I am glad the vice-principal was able to clear up a little fact for this teacher. She should learn not to go so far as to have students at her home and to have a witness at all times.
Once trust is questioned there is always a chance that it will come up again. people are not as forgiving as they should be and we never forget. We quickly rehearse the past of others when it appears that they are in error. At times we do not even consider them innocent until proven guilty. this should not be the case especially among staff in a school, which is a type of home away from home. Time might help to regain the trust since the accusation was not proven to be true.

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Reply to Case Study 3

Post  Krista G on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:48 am

First of all I do think that there existed a fiduciary relationship between the principal and Ms. Lovett. This is so because the principal trusted Ms. Lovett enough to not believe what the student had accused her of. However, I believe that the principal did wrong by not informing Ms.Lovett about the occurrences. This was necessary because if the accusations that were made were indeed true then he would have have been denying "justice" to the student. Even though it was simply a rumor, the principal had the obligation to inform Ms. Lovett about what is occuring, for many reasons. Since Ms. Lovett is new in the profession, it would have been of much help to Ms.Lovett should the principal had given her a tip on maintaining the line between her as a professional and her student clear and that although her intentions with the student were genuinely of goodwill, certain actions may be dangerous. She must be made to understand the importance of safeguarding herself, reputation and keeping her students safe. The fact can not be denied that nowadays there are some unspeakable atrocities occuring by "professionals".
Ms. Lovett should exercise more caution before she makes such decisions as she did with particular student. She did do wrong by inviting her student over, considering the social issues we are facing today with people that are supposed to be respectable. She should continue to exercise the same hard work and dedicztion she has been showing. By so doing, she will gain the trust of her colleagues and students again, if it was injured. From now on, the principal should address such accusations seriously and not tkae anything for granted and also be mindful of informing the involved parties.
Krista G
Krista G

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Response to Case Study 3

Post  sandra smith on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:48 pm

Sandra Smith

Many teachers always try to help their students in their accomplishments. Teachers will go the extra mile in helping them to succeed. A teacher has so many tasks to complete in a day. Time is minimal, hence teachers usually use after school time to assist student in their learning. Allowing the child to go to her home to help him with his work was not wrong of Ms. Lovett, to avoid the scandal she should have had someone there at her home. We always have to watch what we do because many people will consider our generosity to be indecent. There was no way Ms. Lovett would have know that Frank would have done this to her reputation. To avoid this situation from occurring again the teacher should use the school as a place where she helps students after class, always having someone there to assure that what she was doing in nothing immoral. She can have another student or co-worker.
This case study was good because as teachers we always want to help students but we need to protect our reputation and image as well. It may not be a student that will bad mind us; it may be parents or even a co-worker so we must always try to protect our selves.
sandra smith
sandra smith

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Reply to case Study 3 Irene Cruz

Post  icruz281 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:38 pm

As teacher who love their job, we try our best how to help our students,But we if want to do so i think the best way is to help them at school not alone. As the world is today it is not safe for the teachers nor the students to be alone working. There is no assurance that there will be no gossiping of the situation. So I think Ms Lovett did not realize this in time. Very good case study.
Very good grammatical structure.
icruz281
icruz281

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty To case Study 3

Post  HubertPascual on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:13 pm

(1) Was there fiduciary relationship between Miss Lovett and the principal? Why? Why not?

There was not any form of Fiduciary relationship because the information that the principal received was not kept confidential and there was no mutual trust between the teacher and the principal.

I do not believe that it was wrong for Ms Lovett to ask the student to go to her house because like any job/profession the teacher must go home because they have a personal life and maybe she felt that the time need to assist Frank with his assignment would not be enough so she invited him over. She had to plan for the next day and in doing so she, as a professional believed sincerely that she could help her student, for their upliftment, and as profession she believes teaching is to be admistered twenty four hours a day seven days a week.

(3) What advice would you give the principal in regards to dealing with her staff?

First of all the principal is the ultimate authority of the school, as such as soon as she heard the allegations she should have, as a professional call in Ms. Lovett and as professionals deal with the allegation. My advice to her would be that he/she should set the tone/mood at the school if he/she engage in gossip and rumors then it will create a environment that has no trust as it pertains to the authority. Teachers would be afraid to share perusal problems with the principal, or issues affecting the school because of the fear that it can damage the reputation of the accused.

(4) What professional advice would you give to Miss Lovett in regards to relationships with her students?

As teachers it is difficult to become withdrawn from what you like to do, as some people teaching is their calling, they have a passion for it. The least she could do is establish contact hours; which would allow students to visit her only during school working hours, any consultation after that of the working hours assigned students would need to visit with the teacher with parent. This I believe would curve any type of suspicion and wrongful accusations.

My take on the situation is that Mrs. Lovett did not lose the trust of her co-workers because the evidence was positioned very clear from the get go that it was only a rumor. This case was one of those if it doesnít fit you must acquit kind of cases. I think adults realize the hormonal changes which occur in children when they are reaching puberty, I also know that these teachers understand that as professionals and would not look at the case as a high level threat to the staff. The other staff members are to be cautious and vigilant for cases in the same light, so the other co-workers may see it as an eye opener.
[justify]
HubertPascual
HubertPascual

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Re: case study 3

Post  sabaldora on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Response to Case Study 3
Ewart Caballero

Building an keeping a professional realtionaship with students is of vital importance, beside the fact that the students will feel comfortable in class, it makes learning more easy. the fact that Mrs Lovett was a first time teacher it is not stange that an accusiation as such would arrise.however it is was the way that the principal dealt with the problem. i belive the problem should have been manage in a more professional manner without any tension. It is obvious that there is not effective communication in the school. like Mrs, Lovett the principal should try to Develop a better relationship with her staff.

sabaldora

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty response to case study 3

Post  lbaca204 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:43 pm

Was there fiduciary relationship between Miss Lovett and the principal? Why? Why not?

I don't think there was fiduciary relationship between Miss.Lovett and the principal, because the principal and tell her about the issue. Why will he tell one of his staff and not her. She should have been the first to know not her colleague. Yes, miss Lovett was wrong in telling the student to go to her house,i strongly believe that issues like those should be dealt at school. The advice i would give the principal is to communicate issue directly to the individual. Miss Lovett can gain the trust of her students and co-oworker by just being herself.

lbaca204

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Vincent Lanza's response to Case Study3; AN UNEXPECTED TWIST

Post  vlanz558 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:17 am

Response to Case Study 3AN UNEXPECTED TWIST
By Vincent Lanza

I donít think that there was nothing more than a professional relationship. The principal should never have entertained Frank with such strong allegations.

Ms Lovett never should have invited any student, especially those of opposite sex to her house since there are people who are always ready to distort what they see or the truth just for the sake of making mischief. These unscrupulous individual are a part of every society and love to play there part irregardless of the scope of the damage they cause. In, this case, not only Ms. Lovettís reputation, but also the teachers at the school and all teachers for that matter.

The principal could find the resources to have a workshop conducted on the theme Professionalism. The workshop, apart from the usual points about teacher-student relationship, should include pointer on how teachers could protect themselves from defame.

Well, after such an experience, I believe that it is she whoíd be giving advice about the relationship with students. An advice I would give her would be to avoid situations where only she and a student would be alone, for example after classes. Always be in the presence of two or more students, or to inform a trusted colleague and administration why they are staying behind in the evening.

A believe should not be actively seeking the trust of here co-workers and students because her efforts might be mistakes as pretense. Trust will be gained in time as they work together.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Vincent Lanza's response to Case Study3; AN UNEXPECTED TWIST

Post  vlanz558 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:19 am

Response to Case Study 3AN UNEXPECTED TWIST
By Vincent Lanza

I donít think that there was nothing more than a professional relationship. The principal should never have entertained Frank with such strong allegations.

Ms Lovett never should have invited any student, especially those of opposite sex to her house since there are people who are always ready to distort what they see or the truth just for the sake of making mischief. These unscrupulous individual are a part of every society and love to play there part irregardless of the scope of the damage they cause. In, this case, not only Ms. Lovettís reputation, but also the teachers at the school and all teachers for that matter.

The principal could find the resources to have a workshop conducted on the theme Professionalism. The workshop, apart from the usual points about teacher-student relationship, should include pointer on how teachers could protect themselves from defame.

Well, after such an experience, I believe that it is she whoíd be giving advice about the relationship with students. An advice I would give her would be to avoid situations where only she and a student would be alone, for example after classes. Always be in the presence of two or more students, or to inform a trusted colleague and administration why they are staying behind in the evening.

I believe should not be actively seeking the trust of here co-workers and students because her efforts might be mistakes as pretense. Trust will be gained in time as they work together.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Case study #3

Post  kseba750 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:42 am

Of course there was fiduciary relationship between Miss Lovett and the the principal because there is no way i would have let myself stay in a classroom while everyone else discuss this very delicate matter. These two professionals must have a very good relationship for the principal to know what her teacher is capable of doing and when her students are lying. think i would have been unfocused and uneasy all day til the matter could be resolved cause that would stain Miss Lovett's character for a lifetime. So the only part of the this situation i do not agree with would be the teacher being absent from the meeting and discussion which could still leave a lot of room for speculation on the part of the parent and event the wider community because she could not be there to defend herself.

A young teacher there will always be gossiping and there will always be people watching to see when she would make a mistake, so yes i think she was wrong to take the student to go her house. whether it was a boy or girl it does not make a difference, cause the story nowadays could swing either way. it is true that teachers do take a their work home with them but the only way the story with this student would not be looked upon as plausible would be if she made sure that there was always another adult present when assisting any student.

There should be policies in place in dealing with such arising issues: these policies would include procedural investigations, follow up forums, and educational tips on how be professional at all times. whenever there is an allegation there should be all parties present before any discussion could begin. Regardless of how much the principal knows their staff or students, none of these parties should be taken for granted.

As a young professional you do not have to learn the hard way. one of the worst things to pick up is a bad reputation, cause you can't as easily put it back down. make sure that all physical contact or most be minimized
and that any if necessary be in the presence of another adult/professional. Because you are young it is important that even if you don't know how to you pretend you know how to keep a professional distance form your students,because one rumor as such can cause the end to a young career.

Of course the second allegation was indeed more intense than the first to me. it would be hard for me to believe that the teacher did not participate in some way to allow such a rumor to begin in the first place. I would make sure that the only work i take home be paper work. furthermore, if any child wants help try to do so in the presence of an adult, at their home or with assistance of another teacher. For Miss Lovett, I would consider only extra paper work for a while.

kseba750

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Response to case study # 3

Post  amend219 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:00 am

Annaese Mendez

1)Was there fiduciary relationship between Miss Lovett and the principal? Why? Why not?
No, there was no fiuciary relationship between them because the principal did not behaved in a professional manner. She could have called Ms. Lovette and discussed the matter with her as soon as she heard it.

(2 Did you think Ms Lovett was wrong to ask the student to go to her house? Yes, because of the age of the student, he is vunerable at that age and may get carried away in believing the things he imaging about the teacher if he had a crush on her.

(3) What advice would you give the principal in regards to dealing with her staff? She needs to be more professional, and follow the correct procedures when a similar situation arises.She must be willing tolisten to the teachers on her staff and investigate the issue before making certain judgements and dicisions

(4) What professional advice would you give to Miss Lovett in regards to relationships with her students? Behave professional with your students. Do not allow them to be alone with you in or out of the classroom after school hours especially with boys in the upper division.

(5) How can Miss Lovett gain the trust of her students and co-workers? She can talk to them about the situation and also model professional behaviours at all times.

amend219

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Case study 3 Student: Viola Lanza

Post  vwest502 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:14 am

Response: Case study #3
Student: Viola Lanza
Course: Professionalism in Education
Topic: AN UNEXPECTED TWIST

Because Miss Lovett is a young and new teacher and willing to help this student, she is not aware of the possible consequences she would have when dealing with students especially those of opposite sex. As a teacher she is doing her job, which is helping the child. Unfortunately there was no one to advise her since she did not told anyone what she was about to do. She has learnt from her mistakes, it was not a good idea to have this student go at her home. People out there are watching and even though it is not what it seem to be people will talk. Even worst in this case it is the same student who puts her in trouble. She did it with good intensions but the childís intension was another.
It is also wrong having the students from upper division being attached to her. The principal should sit and advice her, since she is new and is not aware of the school polices and how to deal with students.
I believe that the principal did not act professionally. Why will she be telling others about the rumor and not addressing it herself. She should have sat and talk to Miss Lovett about this rumor. We can clearly see that there was no fiduciary between the principal and Miss Lovett. Whenever a principal sees that something is wrong either with a student, teacher whatever, she/he should address the problem immediately and not wait until it gets worst. A principal should always have good communication and fiduciary with the staff. It is always right to apologize upon acting wrong as how the principal did. I would advice Miss Lovett that yes as teacher we must care about students but we must be very careful on we go about dealing with them. I think that Miss Lovett is not to gain trust on anyone it is the principal and those who feel so should work so that Miss Lovett trust in them. She did nothing wrong.

vwest502

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Maria Borallosiews about case study 3

Post  maria borallos on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 pm

I strongly believe that the principal should have called Ms. Lovett to discuss with her about the rumor that Frank had invented. It was the principalís duty to warn Ms. Lovett about her relationship with her students and advise her not to invited students to her house. I strongly believe that the teacher was only interest in the academic performance of her students, although sometimes we do things that lead to other interpretations such as in this case. In addition, the principal should have taken the opportunity and called a staff meeting to address the issue at hand in the most professional manner.
I donít believe that Ms. Lovett and the principal had a fiduciary relationship. Ms. Lovett however, should avoid having extremely close contact with her students and not left alone with anyone. In order to avoid further misunderstandings teachers should not be allowed to assist students more than an hour after school time.

maria borallos

Back to top Go down

case study 3 Empty Re: case study 3

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum