Case study 5

Go down

Case study 5 Empty Case study 5

Post  Doroteo Correa on Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Doroteo Correa
Maria Borallos

Case Study: Professional relationships to parents.

The results for the end of school year were to be issued this coming Friday and Mr. Cruz was very anxious to know the results. He was a very wealthy and respectable person in the village. To him being the best was extremely important as he always wanted the fame and recognition in everything. His son, Manuel, was in standard and he knew he was in trouble as he knew that his performance in his final exams was not the best and that means that he would not be able to rank first in his class. Manuel was very worried and the following morning decided to tell his father the truth.
“Dad, I have something to tell you but please don’t trip with me” said Manuel.
“What is it? Hope it has nothing to do with your school” replied Mr. Cruz.
“Well, actually yes. I think I will not be ranking first this school year because I think my performance in my exams was not the one you expect it to be and that might affect my ranking” replied Manuel.
“What? What do you mean you might not rank first? You must be kidding me cause you know how important I am and I will not let you but me in shame out there, so you better talk to your teacher or I don’t know who but you have to make sure you rank first” replied Mr. Cruz angrily.
For the whole day Mr. Cruz was frustrated thinking that his son was not going to perform the best in school and that would be terrible thing for him as hid recognition and fame would be affected. He could not cope with it anymore and decided to talk with
Mr. Peralta after all he was a very good friend of his from the time he began teaching at the school. I always invite him to come and eat at my house, which is like his second house, and moreover I am the one to help his church the most.
Mr. Peralta was the principal, teacher, and the president of the Catholic Church. He was considered a role model in the community as he would always be willing to help others and was an effective teacher. He was in his house entering the final exam grades into his computer when Mr. Cruz arrived.
“Good Evening Mr. Peralta,” said Mr. Cruz. “I’ve come to see how Manuel is performing in school.”
“Good Evening Mr. Cruz,” said Mr. Peralta. “Come in and I will tell you”
Mr. Cruz and Mr. Peralta went in and sat down and then Mr. Peralta began telling Mr. Cruz what has happening.
He said “Manuel is a very bright student but I do not know what happen but in his exams he did not perform to his full ability. It might be that Manuel had some problems or maybe those days were not good days for Manuel. Manuel’s grade will go down a little but not much the only thing is that it will affect his ranking as he will not rank the first place in his class”.
From the moment Mr. Cruz had confirm that his son will not be the “number one” he thought and said “Mr. Peralta, you and me are very good friends like brothers and moreover you know who I am and the respect the villagers have for me, I cannot allow something like having a son not ranking first to affect my reputation, so I want to ask you for a favor. I want to see if you can do some arrangements with the grades and make Manuel be first in his class but don’t think it will be for free, I will give you a good reward. So what do you think about it?’

Questions

1. What is the major problem?
2. Do you think Mr. Cruz attitude towards Manuel is the proper one?
3. Do you think Mr. Cruz attitude influence Manuel’s behavior?
4. What do you think Mr. Peralta will do?
5. Do you think he should change the grades so Manuel ranks first?

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Reply to Case Study 5

Post  Krista G on Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:11 pm

First of all, I think that the problem here is a psychological with Mr. Cruz. He expects too much of his son and does not value his son's efforts. He is pressuring his son too much and this could have certainly contributed to the actual performance of his son. Or probably, it is a case as was suggested by the principal-maybe Manuel wasn't having the best of days when he took the exams. I do not think that the principal will alter the grades because Mr. Cruz asked him to. As a professional, the principal will not allow his personal relationship with Mr. Cruz to interfere with his profession. Since, Mr. Peralta is the principal as well as a teacher and president of the catholic church, he will not feel as much pressure and under much obligation to comply with Mr. Cruz’s request because he himself has significant “power”, respect and say in the community. In this aspect, he will be able to level off his position with Mr. Cruz even though Mr. Cruz is wealthy and highly respected in the community as well.
Krista G
Krista G

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Response: Professional relationship to parents (Case 5)

Post  Pedro Popper on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:26 am

(Pedro Popper)

The major problem in this case is that Manuel, a student of a primary school, did not perform to his best ability in the school's final exam and he is concerned on what his father may think. Manuel's aim was to top his class so that he pleases his father, Mr Cruz. Mr Cruz is well-known in the community. He has fame and money. He wants the people of the community to recognize his fame and to appreciate his work. In order to continue to build his fame, Mr Cruz wants his son Manuel to pass and come first in class. To him, being the best is all that matters.

I think that Mr Cruz's attitude towards his son is inappropriate. He wants his son to be perfect. Manuel is a young child who is beginning to understand the meaning of life and success. Instead of pressuring his son to be perfect, he should be guiding and encouraging his son to be all that he can be. Personally, I think that Mr. Cruz's attitude can influence his son to follow his instructions to a certain limit. Once that limit surpasses, then I think that Manuel will become frustrated when he realizes that he cannot be the ideal person that his father wants. Consequetly, this will affect Manuel's emotional state of being. The negative impact would be that Manuel may begin to lose hope and trust towards his father.

Realizing that Manuel may not top his class, his dad, Mr Cruz, decided to visit the school and have a conversation with his friend and principal of the school, Mr Peralta. Mr Peralta is a principal, teacher, and president of a catholic church. Mr Peralta is well educated and is seen as a model in the community. Mr Cruz visited Mr Peralta at his office and asked about his son's performance. Mr Cruz confirmed that Manuel did not perform to his best ability in his final exam; therefore, his grades were affected and he would no longer come first in class. Mr Cruz was not happy and wanted Mr Peralta to come to an agreement. Mr Cruz proposed that Mr Peralta change some grades so that his son may come first. In return, Mr Peralta would get a reward.

Personally, I think that Mr Peralta would not accept Mr Cruz's request. I think that Mr Peralta is an intelligent individual and that he knows that changing grades is unprofessional and unethical. Mr Peralta should not change grades for the purpose of pleasing a friend. Moreover, Mr Peralta is the president of a catholic church. He should show positive leadership. If Mr Peralta accepts such offer, imagine what people would think after finding him guilty of deception and fraud. I don't think Mr Peralta would want to destroy his good reputation. Mr Peralta should decide if he wants to support Mr Cruz's fame or should he continue to be a good model recognized by the community.

(Pedro Popper)

Pedro Popper

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Reply to Case study 5

Post  Gaudencio Mucul on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:20 am

The major problem in his case is Mr. Cruz because with his atittude he is affecting his son. Mr. Cruz is only thinking about him instead of thinking about the importance of being a real dad. He has to understand that Manuel is a very god student and being the top does not necessarily mean that Manuel is the best. Whatever grade his son gets he should be proud of it and show Manuel that he is proud of him. Manuel needs affection and support from his father. This relationship is clearly lowering Manuel's self esteem and is reaching the point where fear has gotten in his mind. Unconsciously Mr. Cruz is affecting the emotions of his son since the father is only thinking about what others will say.He is acting selfish on his part.
The attitude of this parent is definitely not one conducive to learning. He is creating an environment where the son feels pressured instead of feeling encouraged and loved. In great part Mr. Cruz has the fault of this because he is traumatizing his son with such attitude. He is clearly an authoritarian parent lacking of love and limits. Manuel definitely has the potential to excell but the parent in this case is not creating the proper environment to nurture his capabilities.
Due to the fact that Mr. Peralta is a man of integrity by the way he spoke to Mr. Cruz I strongly believe that he will not put himself in such a shameful and corrupted act. The fact also that he is a leader of church will make him think in a positve and truthful way.
Definitely this not the correct way to address such a situation. Mr. Cruz is wrong in his ideologies of life and definitely need counseling.
Gaudencio Mucul
Gaudencio Mucul

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Reply to case study 5

Post  sandra smith on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:04 pm

Sometimes when students are being pressured that tends to become afraid hence causing them not to perform to the best of their ability. Manuel felt that he should perform and excel at the top due to his father’s stature in the community. This may be the cause of him not performing well on the exam. Mr. Cruz should not pressure his son so much just to make himself look good in his community. The child has a natural ability and will excel even better when not pressured. Mr. Cruz is wrong to want the administrator makes changes in order to make his son be on top this is unethical. It’s a sad case because in society money and power talks this is why Mr. Cruz feels that he can pay his way to get what he wants. Mr. Peralta should not allow Mr. Cruz to run his school by wanting him to change grades, despite their friendship; he should look at principles and ethical values when making his decision. Manuel’s grades should never be a problem for Mr. Cruz prominence in society, the people look up to him for what he is doing to help them not because of his son’s grades
This case study is very good because this is something that is been happening in some schools/homes. Parents pressure their children to excel to the top and also try to buy over teachers to help them excel also.
sandra smith
sandra smith

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Re: Case study 5

Post  felomenaserano on Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:40 pm

i think that the case presented was a good case except for minor typing errors. i like that this case brought out what some teachers and respected personnel do at school. we as teacher must not be lead into temptation. we must be professional and do the the right thing. if that teacher changes that grade it will not be fair and it is a form of cheating. we are expected to be educated enough to deal with problem like these because if the word gets out this teacher can loose his reputation and the trust of his employer.

felomenaserano

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Reply to case study 5

Post  Leuis Ku on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:05 am

|Luis Ku
Reply to case study 5

The big and truly serious problem is definitely not Manuel but his father, Mr. Cruz. Mr. Cruz has lost his identity, he is allowing external factors influence his behavior. He is so egocentric and narrow minded that he cares not for his child's success in school, but rather, he cares only, absolutely only about maintaining his 'good' reputation. It is very sad to see that his egocentric behavior did negatively affect his son's performance. Mr. Peralty is a teacher, therefore a professional, therefore a moral agent, therefore does the right thing at all times. This means that he will not alter an earned grade\rank, in fact if he changes a rank, as a ripple effect he will alter all other ranks. I then believe that as a true friend to Mr. Cruz, Mr. Peralta will not change Manuel's grades. Professional teachers don't sell grades, thus, they are not bribed.

Leuis Ku

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty To case Study 5

Post  HubertPascual on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:21 pm

The dilemma is concerned with Manuel the son of a well respected and esteemed villager who did not ranked first at the end of the term/semester.

The behavior of Mr. Cruz towards his son was inappropriate; because as a parent he should have explained it was ok and he could have passed high or even come in first the second term.

In terms of Manuel performance, he was always an above average student. In a case such as this one the parent usually has a huge influence over their child’s education. If Mr. Cruz assisted Manuel with his assignments and was a totalitarian father may be Manuel was protesting his independence. Students enjoy success they enjoy when their parents assist them however they dislike when their parents command them every step of the way.

From what I have read in the news papers and most of the history books I have read the top brass people the elites are usually involved in assisting each other because they know they have a status to maintain. Mr. Peralta is the principal and president of the Catholic Church is elite is of the top brass and he should possess the gall to tell Mr. Cruz that he cannot do anything to let Manuel come in first. However I sincerely believe that the above will not be the case and because Mr.Peralta is a good friend a family friend I believe that he will change Manuel’s grade in order for him the reflect what the society should expect of him after all he should reflect the status quo.

No I do not believe he should do it because education should be free of special favor and fair for all. If Manuel did not come in first his grade should not reflect something that he is first. I believe in giving every child what he/she has worked for so that’s my unwavering position, I stand for equality.
HubertPascual
HubertPascual

Back to top Go down

Post  Cristavel Membreno on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:27 pm

The major problem is the father, he has too much expectation for his son. I have a younger brother in high school and parents are glad if he just makes the appointed grade of the school. Of course they keep instilling in him that he can do much better. But they don’t make him feel pressured or stressed. His attitude is not a proper one in his confrontation with his son I didn’t see a concern father at all. He did was talk bout his reputation as a villager and how the villagers look up to him. He didn’t bother to ask his son why he think he did bad o n the exam. Not an attitude of a concerned father. I think Mr. Peralta will tell him that as how he has a reputation, he as a principal also has his reputation and that to do what Mr. Cruz as of him would be unethical on his part. So I think his answer should be a definite NO. I think that Mr. Peralta should not change the grade for Manuel because that would not help Mr. Cruz. What Mr. Cruz need is a reality check, because he as a father should know better. He is putting too much pressure on his son. From what I read it sounds to me like his son is a very good student any other parent would be proud. I think Mr. Cruz can take this experience and learn from it too. How to treat his child!
Cristavel Membreno
Cristavel Membreno

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Response to case study 5

Post  lbaca204 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 pm

The major problem here is mr. Cruz. He doesn't appreciate his son, he cannot expect too much from his son. i am sure that his son did his best in school. I don't believe Mr. Cruz attitude towards Manuel was a proper one. How can he go against Mr. Manuels's ethical values, what he wanted from him was to cheat for his son. I don't think Manuel will accept mr. Cruz offer, if he does the school will get a bad name and himself too, he will loose his reputation and the respect people have for him.

lbaca204

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Response to Case Study #5

Post  Ewart Caballero on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:01 pm

Response to case study #5
Ewart Caballero

Professional Relationship to Parents
The case study brings about real issue that teachers encounter on a regular basis. I like the situation presented because it open my mind as an aspiring professional to some of the things that I will encounter in my profession. It is obvious that Mr. Cruz portrayed a charter that warrant him good reputation but It is one thing to be a professional pretender and another to be a professional, one day you will be caught. The fact that Mr. Cruz wanted to convince the teacher to change his son’s grade was unprofessional for a highly respected person in the society. I’m not sure whether or not the teacher will change the grade, but if he is ethical he will do what is right.

Ewart Caballero

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Case Study 5

Post  Betty Aldana on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:01 am

The problem is that Mr. Cruz wanting his son to be first in his class. However his son was unable to be first according to his teacher. Mr. Cruz really showed concerned about his son grade and try to have the teacher change it. I believed that in life we must be honest.What you put in is what you get out. I think the child did his best. When it comes to Mr. Cruz he should learn to accept changes and this is where the teacher plays an important role in society.
Betty Aldana
Betty Aldana

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Case Study 5

Post  Marleena Herrera on Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:40 am

Marleena Herrera
Case Study 5
Professional Relationship to parents

I believe that Mr. Cruz is an arrogant and selfish man who needs psychological help. He disregards the feelings of others including his son and his close friend just for his personal gain or benefit. He needs to change his behavior, especially toward his son, because his son will also develop psychological problems that will farther affect his grades and his personal relationship with him. I also believe that because Mr. Peralta is also a respectable member of the community, despite the friendship he has with Mr. Cruz, Mr. Peralta will not change the grade because he can also jeopardize his reputation. I think that Manuel grades should remain as it is. This should set an example to Mr. Cruz to let him realize that he cannot get everything he wants and everybody is not perfect.

Marleena Herrera

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Annaese Mendez Response to case study # 5

Post  amend219 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:31 am

First of all, I think that Mr. Cruz is a selfish person, who only consider his reputation and not his son. As a parent, he should encourage his son to do better and talk with him to find out what the problem is. Instead,he demonstrates that he only want the members of the community to view him as something that he is not. Like many parents, he focuses on a number grade beside his son's name ans not an overall performance for the entire school year. How dare him, to ask the principal to change the grade? I only hope that the principal would set things right with him by telling him that he will not change any grades that the child did not earn and behave as a professional.

amend219

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Case Study #5

Post  kseba750 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 am

Questions

I think that the major problem was that Mr. Cruz preferred to pay to make sure his son comes in first rather than accept the fact that his son did not perform so well. This is a problem that we face as teachers, students and as educators in our own little circles of life. there are a lot of parents that may try to ask the teacher for a grade that they know that their child does not deserve, there are those who will come right out and tell you that they are willing to pay, but the bottom line is that once the child did not work for the grade then it it really is not fair for them to be recognized over someone that has worked tirelessly for their one.

Of course not, his attitude towards his son Manuel is not a good one for it would be telling him that no matter how horrible you preform in class , I will be right at your teacher's house bribing them to change your grade and make you come in first. There are people like this who always want to center of attention and will even pay to have that attention. Mr. Cruz in essence is showing his son that you must have the drive to always be number one, but he is doing it in the wrong way.

It is probably inevitable that Manuel will turn out to be a go-getter like his father, but he may pursue it in ways that may give him a one way ticket to jail. Chances are that when the father will want to speak to Manuel on important matters he will not be able to do so because by then Manuel will not have any respect for him. Manuel may become rebellious and defiant to any authority figure for he may feel that his father will always be there to bail him out or bribe someone on his behalf.

I do not think that Mr.Peralta will engage in such actions. From the study it seems that these two individuals are friends; thus Mr. Peralta should know the character that he is dealing with. i think that he will make the correct decision and allow Manuel to work for his grades instead of giving in to bribes or pressure.

This question seemed obvious at first, but it could be mind boggling depending on the closeness of the friendship between the teacher and the parent. In some schools nowadays there are some teachers who are teaching their own children or close relatives which could easily pose a similar problem. But at the end of the day the answer will be no, he should not change the grades of Manuel to please his parent or anyone else as a professional.

kseba750

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty case study 5

Post  wwill897 on Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:33 pm

1.The major problem in the story is that Mr. Cruz not wanting for his reputation to be affected so he is willing to pay the teacher to change his son's grades so that he is able to rank first in his class.

2. I believe that MR. Cruz attitude towards his son is not the best one because he is not being considerate to his son and at the same time he is portraying to him that he would be willing to do anything just to not let him have a bad reputation. at the same time he is not being a romodel for his son. chances are that his son will want to adapt these same behaviors from his father and apply it later on in life.

3.Mr Cruz attitude will influence his son behaviors because he is teaching him that with money he is able to pay persons to get his way in life. he is also influencing his son to bribe people no matter how risky the situation may be.

4.i believe that the teacher will not accept his offer because of his position in the community and as a member of the church. in the case if he does accept the money, well then i believe that he is being unfair to the rest of the students who have studied hard to get to the rank that they deserve.

5. as i had previously mention it would not be fair to the rest of the students who have worked hard to earn such rank. as a member of the church and as an administrator it would be unprofessional for him to display and carry out such action. hence he would be allowing the child's father to gain a reputation that he does to deserve. last but not least he is giving mr curz the impression that money buys everthing.

wwill897

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Professional relationship with parents

Post  sabaldora on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:49 am

The case was clearly stated in the case study. I believe as teachers we are sometimes faced with similar scenarios whereby parents would like to influence what takes place in our classroom. We should not allow this. While we should appreciate having a relationship with them we should not have them control decisions we make. We should take control in our classrom.
The case study was interesting, however, there are several grammatical errors that could be found in the case. sometimes it is important that we revise our work before submission.

sabaldora

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Response to Case Study 5: Professional relationships to parents.

Post  vlanz558 on Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:49 am

Response to Case Study 5: Professional relationships to parents.
By Vincent Lanza

1 The major problem is that the parent is so engulfed by his pride and reputation that he has not been checking up on Manuel’s performance in the first place. He, the parent needs to humble himself and accept that there are things that he can not control.

2. Mr. Cruz’s attitude towards his son is not fatherly nor does he show any compassion for his son. He did not even inquire why his son was failing nor does he seem to show any concern about his son’s feelings about the situation. Mr. Cruz is trying to live his life through his son’s.

3. Do you think Mr. Cruz attitude influence Manuel’s behavior? Mr. Cruz is a fictional character that models many real people’s behavior. There are parents that have extremely high expectations and pressure their children in every way to be the best. Manuel may at times feel that he is not sufficient for his father and could run away or worst, give up on life.

4. I think that Mr. Peralta did not become a principal, teacher and prominent church affiliate by performing unscrupulously. He will set the record straight and might even offer some counseling to Mr. Cruz.

5. Ranking first is in the hearts of everyone who knows that they have done their best to achieve the grade that they got. So, really, getting an 89 might be ranking first in Manuel’s heart. But if his grade is changed to the first place rank and he knows that he didn’t work for it, then in his heart he knows he doesn’t deserve it.
If he believes he did so, then it can set bad standards in achieving his goals in life.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Case 5 - Professional relationship to Parents

Post  Caroline Awardo on Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:45 pm

Caroline Awardo
1.The major problem with Mr. Cruz is that he wants to bribe Mr. Peralta to change his child grade.
2. Mr. Cruz attitude toward Manuel is not a proper one. He does not seek to help his son with tutoring or personal monitoring but expects him to pass first.
3. i believe Mr. Cruz attitude influenced Manuel behavior. he had the child so fearful that it affected his performance.
4. I do not think Mr. Peralta will will take the bribe because teacher are professional and need to be fair to their students.
5. He should not take the bribe because he will be violating the sacred trust students place in him. He will also live with guilt for doing something so low.

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Response to case study 5

Post  Lucia Itza on Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:13 pm

I believe that Mr.Cruz has a tremendous psychological problem, he only worries about his personal reputation, what people will think of him. As human beings sometimes we tend to worry on what people will say. In this case Mr.Cruz should worry about his son not himself. He needs to appreciate his son, motivate him rather that intimidating him. On the other hand of the scenario I believe that Mr. Peralta, Manuel's teacher should be honest as in regards to the grades. We as teachers need to be very honest with children's grades. They deserve what they earn, no matters of what or who. Mr.Peralta needs to be professional and ignore Mr.Cruz' offer and advice him to accept Manuel's efforts.

Lucia Itza

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Response:Case study #5Viola Lanza

Post  vwest502 on Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:18 am

Response: Case study #5
Student: Viola Lanza
Course: Professionalism in Education
Case study: Professional relationships to parents

The major problem is that this parent is confusing friendship with professionalism. What was Mr.Cruz’s attitude? It was not said if she agreed or not, so I can not tell if it was proper or not. Towards his friendship with the parent yes, as professionals we can not avoid parents we need to have good communication with them. If Mr.Peralta had accepted the preposition then he was not acting professional. As Professional he should not accept as what Mr. Crus is proposing. Of course he should not change the grade.

vwest502

Back to top Go down

Post  lgonz971 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 am

I think that it is because of people like Mr. Cruz that many a times our society is in the mess that it is in. They only think about themselves and about how they look they don't think about anyone else. They think that they can solve everything with their money. If his son did not work for the first place then he should not be given that place. I also think that the teacher is in a very serious situation. He will need to decide what is most important for him. We need to be very honest in all that we do and to stand up for what we believe. We should not be bought or intimidated by anyone. Mr. Cruz and his son need to learn that they cant buy their way through life. The young man cannot always get what he wants. Yes it is a very important person in society but wrong is wrong. I also think that when a person gives something he/she should not expect anything in return for that favor. If Mr. Cruz is really interested in helping he should not expect any favors in return.

lgonz971

Back to top Go down

Case study 5 Empty Re: Case study 5

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum