Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation

Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Response to Case Study - Lifestyle Vs. Professional Expectation

Post  vlanz558 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:06 pm

EDUC 221 – PROFESSIONALISM IN EDUCATION
JAB-U4 Monday /Wednesday
Response to : Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation
Student: Vincent Lanza
Submitted to: Mrs. S. Rhaburn
Due Date: September 5, 2008

I believe that Mr. Santo’s lifestyle can surely influence students negatively, especially the young males. Teachers should always behave appropriately because some of our students will emulate some of our behaviors.
He is without a doubt wrong for lying about the incident. He will sooner or later be exposed as a deceitful person and people will make their own judgments about whether or not he should be a teacher in their community. Teaching is not only about content but also about philosophical values. Some parents might not like the values Mr. Santos has displayed.
Everyone has the free will to socialize and interact. Nothing is wrong in socializing when alcoholic beverages are involve. I believe that you could socialize and have some drinks as well but not to the point where you would be mistaken for the floor rug. We need to have self-control in everything that we do.
Mr. Santos was in a predicament. He could either lie and get away with it for a while or he could have spoken the truth and admitted he was wrong but he would have stood up like a man with ‘character’ and ‘save face’. But Mr. Santos probably did not think it through thoroughly enough and made the wrong decision. If I were Mr. Santos I would have admitted I was wrong and accept responsibility for my actions. Further more, such a case would not merit me being stripped of my job.
I think that the principal, if he finds out the truth, should have a long talk explaining to Mr. Santos why he would be punished. Mr. Santos needs to understand the important role he has undertaken when he became a teacher, and the influence he has on his students. The principal should also be objective and realize that Mr. Santos’ choice was a mistake on Mr. Santos’ part. He he was scared of losing his job.

vlanz558

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty case study 2

Post  vwest502 on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:17 pm

Viola Lanza
Professionalism in Education

Response Case study #2

We are all humans and there are times when we want to go out and have a little fund with friends. But there is always a limit. Mr. Santos needs to set his limits, if he is going to consume alcohol he should know his limit. Yes Mr. Santos’ lifestyle can negatively influence the students. Student will think that since Mr.Santos drinks alcohol in excess they can do it as well and there is nothing wrong with it. Mr. Santos must keep in mind that he is a ‘role model’ many children imitate what their teachers do.
Yes Mr. Santos was wrong for not admitting he was part of the accident. As human we all make mistakes and we must learn to admit when we are wrong and also learn from our mistakes. Societies will lose trust in him. They saw him at the place of the accident. Mr. Santos denied being part of the accident. How does parent feel about Mr. Santos? Do they have the same respect as before towards him? Would they want Mr. Santos teach their children?If he does not really care about his life being drunk and at risk of losing his life, can parent really trust their children in Mr. Santos hand?
If I was Mr. Santos yes I would admit to the principal that I was involved in the accident. We are role models, society regard teachers are professionals, not professional lawyers. Children will get to know that I am lying and will again think it is right and will do the same. We all make mistakes, so why not admit that I was wrong. The principal must talk to Mr. Santos, let him know what he did and is doing is wrong. He must know that he should behave professionally. Maybe send him a letter telling him about his wrong actions, and advise him to act professionally. The principal must stress to him what will be the consequences if he continues to behave that he does.

vwest502

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Reflection on Case Study

Post  lovelyaguilar on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:09 am

Cyndi Aguilar
Professionalism in Education

September 5, 2008

Mr. Santos’ lifestyle can negatively influence students for being a professional teachers and secondly a roll model to them. If students were to become aware of the accident Mr. Santos was involved in they would have a variety of view point towards their teacher. There are students that would believe that if he can drink they can since he is professional in all aspects while others would never take another teacher as a role model because they do not know to show guidance to their community and fellow student.
I believe that Mr. Santos was wrong for not admitting that he was part of the accident. The reason for this is because a teacher should always take up their responsibility. By not admitting his wrong doing, parents and students will not look at him as a role model but as a dishonest alcoholic teacher. Therefore, teachers should show guidance to the their fellow citizen even though they are not students especially when caught doing wrong.
Every teacher can live their own life according to believes. However, since teachers are look at as a role model because of being professionals in the education sector by instilling values to their fellow students, it would not be appropriate for them to be drinking at a public place. Therefore, when in the profession of teaching it is not right for them to go bar hopping and get drunk, I’m not saying they cannot socialized, they can but moderately and privately.
If I was Mr. Santos, indeed I would admit that I was involved in the car accident even though I was going to be penalized. The reason I was going to confess is solely because I was caught doing wrong by many parents and I would not like for them to change their perspective towards me. Nevertheless, I would also share with the principal that it would never happen again and that I am willing to join a rehabilitation center.
I believe that the principal should expel Mr. Santos for being dishonest. The reason for this is because he should be professional in his job. Also because as being an educator of the institution he lied and people knew about it and were gossiping to everyone about it, which could make all teachers in the institution as unprofessional.

lovelyaguilar

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Case 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation

Post  Pedro Popper on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:05 am

JAB-U4
Assignment #1: Case Study 2 – Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation
Group Members: Pedro Popper & Laura Bacab
Due Date: September 4, 2008

Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation

Having fun on weekends

Mr. Manuel Santos is a very educated Science teacher in St. Mark R.C. School in San Felipe Village, Orange Walk District. He is 25 years old, single, outgoing, and dedicated to his profession. Mr. Santos has five years working experience in that institution. During all this time, he has had no problem in his job. He works hard from Monday to Friday making sure he carries out his labor in the most efficient and effective manner. On weekends, he goes out to socialize with friends and most of the time he would consume alcoholic beverages in excess. Close family members would always remind him of having self-control while drinking.

One early Sunday morning while heading home to San Felipe Village after a night of partying and heavy drinking at a club in town, Mr. Santos along with three friends were involved in a vehicle accident. Due to drunkenness, the driver of the vehicle lost control and the vehicle overturned. At the time of the accident the vehicle was driven by Mr. Santos’ friend, the owner of the Rodeo vehicle. Mr. Santos was seated on the passenger’s seat and on the back seat were two other friends. The two back seat passengers got minor injuries. The driver and Mr. Santos were not injured because they had seat belts on. The incident occurred at 3 o’clock in the morning along the Yo Creek Road.

In that same early morning, some villagers were driving along that road and witnessed the incident. They stopped and rendered assistance. They saw that Mr. Santos was in that vehicle. That same morning the news spread that Mr. Santos was intoxicated and that he was involved in a vehicle accident. The news reached at his village almost immediately. Parents were concerned because he is a teacher. Early Monday morning few concerned parents call the school to inform the principal about the incident. The principal received the news and went to inquire Mr. Santos. The principal asked, “Mr. Santos is it true that you were involved in a vehicle accident due to drunkenness?” “No!” replied Mr. Santos “I was not involved in any accident. At the time of the incident I was at home sleeping”. The principal believed Mr. Santos’ words and ignored what really happened because it was not a serious matter on his behalf. There was no real evidence to show that he was involved in any accident, since no report was made to authorities. Therefore, the principal did not dare to investigate because he believed that Mr. Santos was being honest.

Mr. Santos realized that he can cause real harm to the school and to himself. Hence, he has dedicated to control on his drinking.

Questions:

1. Do you think that Mr. Santos’ lifestyle can negatively influence the students?

2. Do you think Mr. Santos was wrong for not admitting he was part of the accident?

3. Do you think that teachers should go out to socialize and drink alcoholic beverages?

4. If you were Mr. Santos would you admit to the principal that you were involved in the accident due to drunkenness?

5. What should the principal do to Mr. Santos if he finds out that Mr. Santos was lying?

Pedro Popper

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Response: Case Study 2

Post  Krista G on Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:41 am

First of all, I do believe that students do mimic what they see their "superior" do hence in this instance I strongly believe that Mr. Santos' behaviour would negatively influence his students and even students that are not in his own class.
It is of my opinion that Mr. Santos did wrong to have lied to the principal and should the principal find out the truth, I would expect and hope that he is disciplined. It must be set as an example that firstly, drunkenness is an abhorrence and secondly that lying is not a favorable practice either. I would be inclined to say that I would do as Mr. Santos did, however, it is not of my nature to become intoxicated nor socialize in those extremities. I do not believe that it is wrong to socialize but I do think it is wrong to reach to a state like which Mr. Santos got to. As teachers, we must be ever-mindful of our actions as authority figures and as individuals. It is not a pleasant sight that of seeing someone senseless because of intoxication. We should try to teach favorable things not things that would serve as deterrents to those who see us, including our students and children.
Krista G
Krista G

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Case Study

Post  Cristavel Membreno on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:25 pm

JAB-U4
Response to: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation
Student: Cristavel Membreno
Date: September 5, 2008

The story leaves you to make your own conclusion about the incident. Because there was no details of Mr.Santos being in the hospital or the police coming to question him about the accident, it made us want to believe that he really was telling the truth and that the villagers may have made a mistake, mistaken identity. But even if he was not involved it still should be taken into account that if he as a teacher goes out there that what he does out there still affects the school and his students. That if he chooses to drink and act all erotic, that it will lead right back to the school. As a teacher he has to know that its not only his reputation that is on the line it’s the school’s also. In every situation we have choose as do we have equal consequences, was he wrong in not admitting that he was apart of the accident? You would have to come to your own conclusion.
Because you have to think what he might have been thinking at the time. That if he told the truth it would have served him any good because the administrator probably would have just look at it like another opportunity to make an example of what happens if you want to have a good time on your personal time and not think of how the school is affected. So in the end he might have thought that the truth was not worth it this time around.
If I was Mr. Santos I would not have admitted being in that incident either because my job, reputation and all that would have been on the line and all that would have simple gone down the drain, so no I wouldn’t have admitted to that accident. I think that teacher’s will never stop being a teacher inside or outside of school so they should think of what is good and bad for the school they represent. If the principal found out Mr. Santos was lying, I think he should look at the outcome. If the incident did not grow to be something bigger then Mr. Santos should just be put on a reprimand or probation and a warning if some thing like that should happen again what it would mean for him.
Cristavel Membreno
Cristavel Membreno

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Response to Case Study-Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation

Post  lgonz971 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:19 pm

The line that separates our private life from our professional life is a very thin one. As time passes this line seems to be slowly disappearing. Teachers have the right to a private life but must also remember that teachers are public figures. Some argue that what they do in their spare time or after classes is nobody else's business and up to a certain extent that is correct. Part of having a private life is that of socializing. I don't seem to see Mr. Santos as a social drinker but more like an alcoholic as the alcohol seems to be controlling him.
Whatever we do as professionals in our private life will have an impact on our professional life. It speaks bad about us when people can point fingers at us. Is this the kind of value that we want to pass on to our young people. I believe that Mr. Santos is wrong in not admitting that he was a part of the accident. The principal is also wrong for taking Mr. Santos' word as gospel truth. He could have done an internal investigation and would have found out the truth. After all, Mr. Santos is dealing with young minds that will be our future leaders. For Mr. Santos' own good I think an investigation should have been launched. An alcoholic will never admit that he or she has a drinking problem.
Another concern that I have is for how long will Mr. Santos continue to socialize in that manner before it begins to affect the professional side of his life. Sooner or later his drinking will begin to affect his performance at school and then he will be in problems. We all have a life to live and the choices that we make will determine what will be the outcome of our life.
We must remember that above all as teachers we are professionals. Our students and the community that we serve need to have positive role models. The principal could talk seriously to Mr. Santos if he finds out that he is lying. He can enjoy his private life but he needs to make sure that he is not placing himself into trouble or risking his own life.

lgonz971

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty reflection 1 Professionalism

Post  vwest502 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 am

EDUC 221: Professionalism in Education
Reflection 1: Are all Belizean teachers regarded as professionals?
Submitted to: Mrs. Shawn C. Henry, Rhaburn
Submitted by: Viola Lanza
5th September 2008

Are all Belizean teachers regarded as professionals?

Teachers in our country play an important role in our society; we set the foundation to our nation. Teachers in our country are regarded as professionals. Many of our Belizean teachers are responsible dedicated and hard working. Teachers work hard to meet the needs of the children in our school and society. We find ways and means to solve the daily problems and challenges in schools. Most parents have trust and confidence that we teachers will do the best to educate and prepare their children and thus we try our best. Many of our teachers also ensure children are learning as well as applying their life skills as necessary to become qualified and certified professionals in all areas of society. Yet we may also have teachers in the profession who commit unlawful acts. Society questions the professionalism on all teachers not only on those who commits those offences to the human society. Because of them many times all teachers get bad name.
There are some teachers who are in the classroom, not trained and have no interest in upgrading themselves. I believe that the leaders in education need to ensure these teachers get the proper training so as to better prepare our children in the classroom. Leaders in education need to evaluate our education system and identify where the weaknesses are and address them. Leaders in education should ensure that there is a (Diane Ravitch, Ph.D. -A Brief history of teacher professionalism) “sufficient supply of well-educated, well prepared teachers for our future.” I believe that there is a need to raise the standards for teachers entering into the teaching profession. In doing this we will have a better performance of children in our society.
Although some, the minority, do not follow code of ethics for professionals, the majority deserve to be regarded as professionals. It is indisputable that majority of our teachers are competent people of integrity, who posses moral and ethical values, are qualified or are being qualified to meet the needs of students and society in general.

vwest502

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Responding to case study2

Post  Doroteo Correa on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:07 am

Well, I think that each individuals in this world makes mistake. Mistake can happen once but not always. If I was to be the principal of that institution I would strongly recommend that Mr.Santos be suspended from teaching because he is a bad influence to our young generation. I also would stress that if he was involved in that accident he must admit it. A person has the liberty to drink but should also take responsibility his actions. People, as a whole, should prevent their kids to be too close to delinquent teachers, especially those teachers who ask students for money in exchange of grades. Such a practice prevents students from learning. As a teacher, I think that teachers are their to show the example, help, and show children the right path to education. Therefore there is nothing wrong on a teacher to socialize with others but with a great care . Overall Mr. Santos should apologize for lieing and having a low self esteem. Also need to take his consequences of what he has done and try to resolve it.

Doroteo Correa

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty reply to case study 2

Post  Gaudencio Mucul on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:20 am

Teachers as educators should be a role model for our children and in the community as whole. Mr. Santos is definitely not a good example for the society. It is true that we as teaches need our private life but we need to understand that we are public figures. We as teachers need to set the example by not displaying this kind of attitude and behaviour. I think that the principal of that school should seriously consider a meeting with Mr. Santos.We have to understand that he is working in a learning institution and he can damage the prestige and reputation of the institution. It is very important to consider that he is a productive teacher too, so advise coming from his fellow principal and colleagues would do him good
It is the same with any other job or profession. It needs the combination of both production(performance) and behaviour or attitude.
Gaudencio Mucul
Gaudencio Mucul

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Reply to case study 2

Post  Martha Lino on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:54 am

Teachers are regarded as professionals, but that doesn't mean we are not to have fun. We are all humans and we need to have some sort of socialization and enjoyment in life. However, how we do it is what counts. Going out does not means that we are not a professional teacher. What we do out of class should have nothing to do with being an effective teacher. However, I believe that we should know our limits and carryout ourselves as decent humans when in public.
As to not accepting the truth when confronted by the principal I believe is wrong. Mr. Santos should have accepted that he was in an accident and that the unexpected do happens. He denying the truth made him a dishonest person and as educators we teach our children to speak the truth therefore he too should live up to that. His lying could have a great impact on his students and the others at school. Parents will no longer have that trust in him because of lying.
In my honest opinion I think that as the principal Mr. Santos should be discipline if he/she found out that he Mr. Santos was truly in an accident. This lying is what would be consider as a bad influence for his students and his staff members. If I was that principal and found out that he lied I would not believe anything that he said even if he is speaking the truth because you never know if he is really telling the truth or lying.

Martha Lino

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty response to case study 2

Post  sabaldora on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:22 pm

I beleive that Mr Santos character can be ruined because of his lifestyle he chooses to live. As teachers we should be role model because children look up to us andpats keen attention to the things we do, they tend to imitate our actions because they think whatever we do is right. In our society today it is surprising to see you children drinking, smoking and taking drugs but they are only imitating what they see.There is nothing wrong with teachers to socialize and have occational drinks, but they should remember they are professionals and try to limit ther drinking so it does not reach the state Mr Santos allowed himself to reach. Mr Santos was wrong for not admitting the truth to mis principal. As teacher, we teach our children to be truthful and honest, he should practice what he teaches and take responsibility for his actions.If I was Mr Santos I would admit the truth and accept the consequence.Maybe he would learn from the incident and would eventually change his habits. The principal should log the incident and write him a warning letter whenever he finds out the truth.

sabaldora

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Response to case study 2

Post  felomenaserano on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:21 pm

I believe that Mr Santos has a right to whatever social activity he is involve in as long as he is not breaking the law or infringhing upon the rights of others. drinking is not illegal and therefore I see no harm in his overdrinking. yes he is a role model to the students that he teaches but he did this on his time and leisure. He did not go to school drunk or drank were his students were. In the accident he did nothing wrong. He was not driving under the influence and did not put anyones liife at risk. this accident could have happened to anyone. you dont have to be a over consumer of alcohol for this to happen to you. Sometimes society needs to put a break on how far they want to controll people's social life. How would you feel if someone judged you based on this one accident that was not even your fault. I agree that we as professionals must live certain lifestyle but how we display it is a different manner. Mr. Santos in this case did no harm to anyone. Sometimes we must be mindful of how we judge remember we are all humans. Society likes to dictate the the paste but that does not mean that they are always right. flower drunken flower

felomenaserano

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Life style vs professional expectation

Post  Marleena Herrera on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:49 am

Marleena Herrera

Responding to case study 2:- Life style vs Professional expectation

Teachers are regarded as professional in every aspect of their lives whether academically or socially and because of this they need to keep up a high moral standards. In Mr. Santos situation he has definitely break some of the rules of moral conduct that is set in place by society. As a teacher he needs to be aware that his behavior can negatively influence children attitudes because he is view as a role model for them to follow. In four instances Mr. Santos has degraded his moral status first by getting excessively drunk in a public place, secondly for associating himself with a drunk driver in an accident, thirdly causing public humiliation as he was seen by members of his community and fourthly by lying to the principal about the accident. His action could have cause irreversible damage to the school, the students, the community, and all teachers that falls under the professional code.
I believe that there is nothing wrong with teachers going out socializing and having alcoholic beverages however getting drunk and putting other people life at risk will definitely pose a problem especially in the teaching profession where teacher are view as responsible adults.

Marleena Herrera

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Response to case study 2

Post  Caroline Awardo on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:24 am

As teachers we are role models for our students. By lying Mr. Santos is setting a bad example. As young children find out very often it is always best to admit the truth and live with the consequences because it will come anyway. as a professional teacher Mr. Santos should uphold the moral standard and tell the truth.

Teachers have their own lives to live and if Mr. Santos chooses to drink it should be outside of school hours and he should not be ashamed to admit to being a drunkard. I am glad that he decided to control his drinking, because alcoholic beverages make a fool of people.

When asked if the incident was true Mr.Santos should have confessed. The principal was playing the part of a good guy or ignoring his responsibility. since he didn't investigate he does not know that Mr. Santos lied. Mr. Santos on the other hand should be burning with shame.

I believe the principal should have investigated just make sure the teacher was not lying. He didn't have to do it in a sneaky fashion either, I would let him know that I was investigating to be sure and to support him in any way possible.

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty lifestyle Vs. professionalism

Post  kseba750 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:40 pm

It is true that any professional has a right to whatever function or activity that he wishes to pursue, but as a teacher it is more true that we teach as example. Now getting to the part about the relevance of whether or not he should drink. The fact of the matter is that whether or not he was drinking that night the story would have still come out the same way even if he wasn't.

The important thing was for him to have maintained self control in the quantity of liquor he'd consume and using his critical thinking skills to know that he should not have entered the vehicle if the driver was indeed intoxicated. As a professional we should not put ourselves into positions for people to talk about us. And even though we will avoid these things as much as possible that does not mean that we will not engage in activities and functions to enrich our family lives.

Mr. Santos in this story was a single man, and it says that there were concerns in his family for him to be cautious of how much he drank which could mean that he himself did not know when to get enough. This could pose a problem for Mr. Santos as a bad reputation is the last thing he wants for himself.

This teacher aught to be ashamed of lying to his principal. He should have trusted to tell him the truth and lobby for the principal's understanding. In essence it may not have been any of the principal's business, but as professionals we do not need the truth coming out the wrong way;thus causing our collegues not to trust or depend on us being fair, honest and trust worthy. We do not need these kind of mentality about anyone we work with.
The principal was gullible and needs to draw the line when it comes to dishonest.

kseba750

Back to top Go down

Post  Leuis Ku on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:23 am

Luis Ku

As social beings, humans not only want but need to socialize with their fellows and beloved people. It is healthy. There is nothing wrong in socializing. However, we are sometimes the ones who do wrong types of socialization. Mr Santos, as a professional and effective teacher knows how, where and when to socialize. His denying the incident to the principal is truly unacceptable. Let him socialize, but let him also take responsibility for his actions, as a moral agent he should be accountable to his moral equals, that is parents, staff and students. He should, then, apologize to all- for lying. If he is an occasional lier is another issue.I strongly believe that his apology will be happily accepted, consequently, it will not damage the school's repute. Let this be an incident that all teachers learn from.

Leuis Ku

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Re: Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation

Post  Leuis Ku on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:26 am

Luis Ku

As social beings, humans not only want but need to socialize with their fellows and beloved people. It is healthy. There is nothing wrong in socializing. However, we are sometimes the ones who do wrong types of socialization. Mr Santos, as a professional and effective teacher knows how, where and when to socialize. His denying the incident to the principal is truly unacceptable. Let him socialize, but let him also take responsibility for his actions, as a moral agent he should be accountable to his moral equals, that is parents, staff and students. He should, then, apologize to all- for lying. If he is an occasional lier is another issue.I strongly believe that his apology will be happily accepted, consequently, it will not damage the school's repute. Let this be an incident that all teachers learn from.

Leuis Ku

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Life-style vs. Professionalism

Post  maria borallos on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:36 am

Humans unlike animals have the ability to think and choose right from wrong. I don't believe that students will be influenced by Mr. Santos if they are not inclined to drinking. As my mother would say "no one puts a gun to head and force you to do what you don't want to do, and even if they do you have the last word; it is all up to you". People make their own decisions guided by the moral values by which they were brought up. These moral values are nurtured through the years. I strongly believe that Mr. Santos did wrong by not accepting that he was involved in an accident. It was his responsibility to inform his principal before anyone else about the issue. Mr. Santos not notifying the principal puts him in a very difficult position since he lied and he should be penalized for this. It also puts the school at a disadvantage since he represents an institution which will be judged by his actions and not by the schools' achievements. He should know that he is someone important and a role model for so many students therefore, should be able to control himself, know his limits. Mr. Santos should be reported to Ministry not for his drinking but for his failure to accept his responsibility and lack of moral values.

maria borallos

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty [b]response to case study 2[/b]

Post  sabaldora on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:02 pm

Response to Case Study 2
Ewart Caballero

Teachers have astounding influence on the lives of those who imitate them, therefore, they shoud be portray professional character in any situation, being aware that societys eyes are always on them. in the case of Mr. Santos there was no evidence to prove that he acted in an unprofessional mannner.yes he lied about being involed in the accident but as a professionl to protect his image he had to lie.

The fact that Mr. Santos is a Dedicated teacher and mentor to a number of people in the community, i dont think that there is anything wrong with his drinking, as long as he knows when, where and how much to drink. aviously Mr. Santos drinking has no significant effect on his performance at school therefore i dont see why it should be a problem.

sabaldora

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty To case study 2

Post  HubertPascual on Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:17 pm

1. Do you think that Mr. Santos’ lifestyle can negatively influence the students?

a) This question has a yes and no answer. I can influence the lifestyles both positively and negatively, the reasons are as follows. Mr. Santos works hard from Monday to Friday, students who want to become carrier persons would adhere to his work ethics, because that his the type of behaviour which is modeled at school.

b) If his lifestyle would influence students negatively I say no because that is not the type of behavior that he exhibits in the village, or on the school campus. As a matter of fact he is dedicated to his profession he also has five years working at the particular institution during which he has had no problem. He also works hard from Monday to Friday making sure he carries out his labor in the most efficient and effective manner.

c) My conclusion would be though that the behavior was not professional, because as a professional teachers must carry themselves as esteemed beings. They must bear in mind that one negative aspect can change the way the entire community look at you. Today you can be one great teacher and tomorrow they can look at you as the teacher who became a drunkard. I also believed that as a professional Mr. Santos should not have lied to his superior, because that way he is betraying the people whom believe in him as person, as a teacher and as a person who should transmit social values.

2. Do you think Mr. Santos was wrong for not admitting he was part of the accident?

Yes I believe it was wrong because the principal has so much confidence in Mr. Santos, his work ethic has never been smeared, his resume is impressive for being the perfect teacher and I think he lied because he wanted to preserve that “innocence.”

3. Do you think that teachers should go out to socialize and drink alcoholic beverages?

The morning star according to the Bible is an immortal created by God to be perfect. He sinned and his name was changed to Satan and was cast out of the heavens. Now as human beings we are mere mortals, and socializing is good for us as human beings. Sociologist tells us that human beings are social animals. Teachers are human beings and nothing is wrong with a teacher consuming alcohol. If the teacher consumes alcohol in excess and sleeps, urinate all over the place, and fights all over place and curse out the people in the village or wheresoever they are socializing then that is wrong. I don’t think teachers should even drink in front of students because that would be a classical case of do as I say and not as I do, which I think is very offensive and one dimensional.

4. If you were Mr. Santos would you admit to the principal that you were involved in the accident due to drunkenness?

They say a good name is worth more than any amount of money and gold and riches. The fact that Mr. Santos was protecting his good name may have smeared it some more if the principal would have ever found out. I would admit out right that I was drinking and I was involved in an accident after all I was not the driver, I was only passenger. And I was not involved with anything illegal because drinking is legal and there was no proof of me drunk because no one saw or no blood samples or breath samples were taken. They would have known the driver was drunk and all that would have been made against me would have been accusations.

5. What should the principal do to Mr. Santos if he finds out that Mr. Santos was lying?

Principals do not want to loose their prime teachers, because they want their schools to remain in the elite category. If the principal finds out Mr. Santos was lying I think he should try to get some form of assistance for him. Maybe counseling, maybe ask him if he wants to join alcoholic anonymous to slow down his alcohol consumption level. But I don’t think/believe suspensions or maybe and expulsion would be inevitable for someone who does not display such a persistent behavior.
HubertPascual
HubertPascual

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty RESPONSE TO CASE STUDY

Post  amend219 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:56 pm

Annaese Mendez

I believe that Mr. santos should have taken his teaching profession more seriously by knowing when and where to get drunk. He can definately influence his students negatively, because students often model the behaviours they see.He was wrong for telling that lie, and should have realized the consequences for his actions before doing it. I personally have zero tolerance for teachers who go out and drink publicly and make a fool of themselves. They show that they do not have any respect for themself and the students they teach.Mr Santos should have admitted to what he had done and suffered the consequences. The principal should report the matter to the school manager.

amend219

Back to top Go down

Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation Empty Re: Case Study 2: Lifestyle vs. Professional Expectation

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum