Professionalism in Education
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback

4 posters

Go down

Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback Empty Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback

Post  icruz281 Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:53 am

Isaac Lingsworth
Irene Cruz
Scenario

Mrs. Lino is a teacher of the class of standard four, at St. Matthew’s Anglican School in the village of Pomona. Her class consists of thirty students, who are very vocal and willing to discuss different topics presented for discussion by the class teacher.

Mrs. Lino (Teacher): John, have you heard of the word economy before?

John (Student): No, teacher.

Mrs. Lino (Teacher): How do you mean no? Don’t you listen to the radio or the
television, John?

John (Student): Yes teacher, but I haven’t heard of that word.

Mrs. Lino (Teacher): What t.v. stations do you watch, John?

John (Student): Cartoon-Network, BET and Showtime.

Mrs. Lino (Teacher): I see the reason now why you are so dumb. You children today
want to grow up too fast. You want to watch adult programs, that
is why you all will just become vagabonds and thieves in the
future.

QUESTIONS:
1. How would you describe a teacher like Mrs. Lino? Why would you describe her in that way?
2. Did John know anything about the term ‘economy’? Justify your answer.
3. Was the question by Mrs. Lino asked in an appropriate manner for John to answer?
4. Do you think Mrs. Lino gave prompt and adequate feedback to her student?
5. As a professional, what would you tell/ advise Mrs. Lino about the way she answered John?
icruz281
icruz281

Back to top Go down

Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback Empty Response Case Study 13

Post  Marleena Herrera Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:23 am

Marleena Herrera
Case Study 13

QUESTIONS:
1. How would you describe a teacher like Mrs. Lino? Why would you describe her in that way?

Answer: Mrs. Lino is a very ignorant and arrogant teacher because she responded negatively to her student instead of trying to help.

Answer: It hard to tell if John knew anything about the term “economy” because John wasn’t given the opportunity to explore the concept of the word. Through probing and prompting even though he never heard the word before he could have made some connection.

3. Was the question by Mrs. Lino asked in an appropriate manner for John to answer?

Answer: The question that Mrs. Lino asked was not in an appropriate manner. I think that the question was too direct and did not give the student an opportunity to develop an explanatory response.

Answer: I don’t think that Mrs. Lino gave prompt and adequate feedback to her student because she was too hasty in her response. Her negative remark is causing her student to develop low self esteem.

5. As a professional, what would you tell/ advise Mrs. Lino about the way she answered John?

Answer: As a professional I would tell Mrs. Lino that she needs to be cognizant to the needs of her student. She needs to develop a positive outlook. She can help her children to learn by building on their previous knowledge and at the same time use various questioning techniques that will allow student to analyze information and develop their critical thinking. She also needs to show some love and respect for student in order to develop a classroom environment that is conducive to learning.

Marleena Herrera

Back to top Go down

Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback Empty Case Study 13 Prompt and Adequate reply.

Post  Caroline Awardo Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:58 pm

1. Mrs. Lino seems to be an arrogant and impatient teacher because she did not prompt John correctly to answer the question. she quickly passed judgment and belittled him painting a bleak future. There was no encouragement.

2. John hasan idea of economy but did not realize it.

3. The question by mrs. Lino was not asked appropriately.

4. Mrs. Lino gave prompt but not adequate feedback.

5. Teacher need to be understanding and caring of students. If we condemn students they are influenced negatively and will believe what they are told. Degrading comments can damage their self esteem for life.

Caroline Awardo

Back to top Go down

Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback Empty Response Case Study 13

Post  kseba750 Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:26 am

Keisha Sebastian
Professionalism

I would describe her as an ignorant and a pityful excuse for a teacher. She has no right or authority to belittle that child because of what tv programs he watches but should educate him in why it is important to watch other more educational programs.

more than likely he does know somthing about the term economy because the a major part of America"s economy is based on the promotioon and sale of music. if there was even a slight attemp for the teacher to eplain or give clues about the term then he would have answered.

I dont think it was in an inappropriate manner but as a teacher you learn to ask questions in different ways so that everyone can understand. She could have simply ask if they understood the question and ask them to rephrase it in their own words.

No i dont think so. Her esponse could have been more postive and explanatory.She had no reason to be so hasty and negative.I think she scared her students away from being open and honest and will be steering them to have low self worth and not participating when asked later on.

I would advise her to evaulate the effect that she will be having on the ability to speak freely and having high self esteem. Then i would discourage her from such speeches and allow students to be able to trust that their teacher is informed but not biased, diplomatic and not cruel.

kseba750

Back to top Go down

Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback Empty Re: Case Study #13 - Providing prompt and accurate feedback

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down